Positive update on young full-back after match was abandoned due to scary injury

Saturday saw a number of reserve matches played with one highlight being Castleford Tigers producing a stunning comeback to defeat Huddersfield Giants, however the clash between Wakefield Trinity and Hull FC was forced to be abandoned following a serious head injury.

Trinity full-back Ed Hunter suffered a blow to the head bringing on a concussion just after the half hour mark and the lengthy delay for an ambulance to arrive prompted the game to get called off.

Fans on social media were understandably concerned, particularly after Hull FC described the initial head knock “nasty-looking”.

Just ten minutes later though it was decided that the match would be abandoned with the player’s safety the primary concern for all involved.

Wakefield offered an update on young Hunter in the evening after he had been taken to hospital and thankfully released.

The statement read: “As previously stated on our social media, our Reserves were in action against Hull FC today at the University of Hull. After half an hour the game was abandoned, following a serious head injury to young Trinity fullback, Ed Hunter. As stated earlier this evening, Ed is now home and is recovering from what ended up being a bad concussion.

“The following message was sent from our coaches around our camp following their top tier professionalism with handling the situation. We also send our thanks to Hull FC’s medical staff for their efforts in handling the situation also.”

“Good Evening,

“Just providing an update on Ed, as we know a few of you have been asking.

“He’s home now, safe and sound with his family, sleeping it off.

“We’ve spoken as a staff, and we were immensely proud of how you all conducted yourselves today. You were respectful, gave him and his family space and waited patiently for our amazing medical staff to hand him over to the ambulance service. Thank you.”

It’s brilliant news to hear of Ed’s recovery but it was the second scary concussion within 24 hours following Warrington Wolves captain Stefan Ratchford who copped a stray elbow in a tackle against Catalans on Friday night.

Ratchford received between “15 to 20 stitches” per Jon Well, Sky Sports’ side line commentator, and initially passed his HIA prompting him to return to the field.

At the half though another update was given with Ratchford believed to be suffering a ‘delayed concussion’.

Wells explained: “He developed symptoms during his second spell on the field, he complained of feeling ill on the field and went for a second HIA and with the doctors not happy, they’ve withdrawn him from the game.”

Just like with Ed Hunter, all at Serious About Rugby League wish Stefan Ratchford the best possible recovery.