Connect with us

Super League

Wigan Warriors 22-12 Huddersfield Giants: Highlights & match report

Wigan maintained their 100 percent start to the new season with a hard-fought win over Huddersfield at the DW Stadium.

The win moved the Warriors back to the top of the Super League table at this early stage with new head coach Matt Peet continuing his honeymoon period since taking over from Adrian Lam.

It was the first time the Giants had tasted defeat this campaign but they can travel back over the Pennines with plenty of positives in a match that was evenly-contested for large periods.


The match started in emotional fashion as the crowd perfectly observed a minute’s silence following the tragic passing of former Wigan great Va’aiga Tuigamala, whose death was announced earlier on Thursday at the age of 52.

Both teams observed a minute’s silence to remember Wigan legend Va’aiga Tuigamala.

Tuigamala was a tough, explosive figure in his prime for the cherry & whites and this match was a great tribute to him with both sides fully committed from the first whistle. Liam Farrell was the standout performer on the night with two tries, as the back-rower continues to maintain his incredible consistency despite his aging years.

Match Report

Things didn’t get off to the best start for Wigan when halfback Cade Cust picked up a head knock, but they shuffled the pack and went in front early as Kai Pearce-Paul and Tommy Leuluai combined to set up Farrell for his first score.

Huddersfield responded well as Chris McQueen powered over for his fourth try of the season, but Cust returned to the field after passing a HIA concussion test and quickly set up Farrell for his second to restore the hosts’ lead.

Liam Farrell crosses for his second try of the evening.

Peet’s side opened up breathing space before the half-time hooter as Jake Bibby used his pace to break the line and give the Warriors a 10-point lead at the break.

Again the Giants hit back in the second half through former Leeds and Salford halfback Tui Lolohea, but Wigan always looked to have the edge and they reopened their 10-point advantage when John Bateman took a Sam Powell to notch his side’s fourth try.

The score stayed at 22-12 through the final quarter as Wigan made it three wins from three, albeit with a slightly uglier win than in their first two outings of the season.

Both teams now have a break before their next fixture with Wigan travelling to Toulouse a week on Saturday, while Huddersfield host Salford on Sunday week.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Super League