St Helens make history in first Wembley women’s Challenge Cup Final

St Helens and Leeds Rhinos make history today as they take part in the first ever Women’s Challenge Cup Final to take place at Wembley with the landmark match being won 22-8 by St Helens.

The Rhinos made the final after defeating Wigan Warriors in the semi-final, whilst a Faye Gaskin drop goal was all that separated Saints from York Valkyrie in a dramatic semi-final.

Gaskin started in the halves for Saints with England skipper Jodie Cunningham starting from loose forward.

As for the Rhinos they were missing Keara Bennett and Kaiya Glynn which was a huge blow, but former Saint Amy Hardcastle did feature against her old club, with whom she lifted the Challenge Cup in 2022.

The Rhinos forced an early goal line drop out but it was pressure from St Helens that paid dividends as full-back Ruby Enright knocked on to give the Saints territory.

From that Tara Jones forced herself over to score the first ever try in a Women’s Challenge Cup Final at Wembley, and just minutes later Amy Taylor broke on the right wing and crossed over to double the lead to 12-0.

The bad news continued for the Rhinos with confirmation that prop Dannielle Anderson had left the field with a knee injury being swiftly followed by a huge break by Jodie Cunningham. That set up the territory to allow a quick play the ball and Eboni Partington to score in the corner making it 16-0.

After those opening 20 minutes it looked like the game could be a whitewash but a key tackle by Caitlin Beevers seemed to trigger a response from the Rhinos, and it was her high claim that set up Sophie Robinson to pull one back in the corner.

The Rhinos thought they’d scored another just before the break but captain Hanna Butcher’s try wasn’t given and the video referee couldn’t see enough to overturn that call, meaning Leeds went in 16-4 down.

Leeds came out of the dressing rooms firing with Caitlin Beevers continuing her impressive performance as she broke from well inside her own half to race the length of the field to score.

The conversion was missed and Saints punished that as they fired back in minutes, a Faye Gaskin kick over the top was collected by Shona Hoyle who got on the scoresheet to re-establish the 12 point lead to 20-8.

Taylor knocked a penalty over with 15 minutes to go to stretch the lead to 14 points and more than two converted tries.

The final 15 minutes followed the same vein of the previous 10 in gritty and hard rugby league epitomised by tough defence for both sides.

Jodie Cunningham was confirmed as the Player of the Match, the England skipper, having shone in the first half and helped to control the match in the later stages.