Hull FC hold on despite sensational Castleford Tigers comeback

It was the start of a new era at Hull FC with some star signings and a new coach at the helm in the shape of one of Super League’s best ever: Tony Smith.

They soon showed they meant business when two debutants Brad Dwyer and Jake Clifford caused chaos for Cas resulting in a drop out but the Tigers did defend well as the pressure mounted.

Eventually Hull FC would break the deadlock in the eighth minute. After Kenny Edwards was penalised a nice pass out wide allowed Darnell McIntosh to scamper in for the try.

Three minutes later and the Black and Whites had doubled their money. This was a try that you might have seen at Leeds Rhinos last year as a Dwyer break was backed up by Liam Sutcliffe to stroll in.

It was three tries in eight minutes, 16 points in an eight minute spell and 16 points after 16 minutes in the game for Hull FC as McIntosh got his second using his foot to control the ball before dotting down.

As the game entered the second quarter, Castleford got themselves a try as a nice passing play saw Niall Evalds tee up Bureta Faraimo to score.

On debut, Gareth Widdop converted for 16-6. It only stayed that was for six minutes before a scrum move allowed Adam Switf to go in for the try.

Just copy and paste the above comments for the try that came seven minutes later. Swift again finishing a scrum play. 26-6 at the break.

Just six minutes into the second half, Hull FC added another try as a series of offloads allowed Danny Houghton to cross as he came off the bench.

The Tigers seemed out of the game but did spark a hint of a comeback when Kenny Edwards hit a  good line to go over on the hour mark.

It was the two tries in three minutes as Jake Mamo broke down the edge and found Jacob Miller to cross for a debut try against his former club. Suddenly, with 18 minutes left the Tigers had hope.

It was than hope heading into the last 12 minutes of the game as the Tigers pushed right and Bureta Faraimo powered over to make it 32-24 as Gareth Widdop continued his flawless day with the boot.

A game that seemed sewn up for the Black and Whites at halftime was well and truly on heading into the final few minutes as Mamo ducked and darted over to take the Tigers remarkably within a couple of points having trailed by 26-points with 20 minutes to go.

Crucially, Hull FC were then awarded back to back penalties and trotted down to the Castleford end of the field with two minutes left.

From there, the Black and Whites were able to hold on for an opening round win but they made heavy weather of it.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments