Connect with us


Ex-Warrington Wolves forward Glenn Riley stood down for driving offences

Whitehaven RLFC have moved quick to announce that player Glenn Riley will not play for the club in the near future.

The club released a statement that reads: “Whitehaven RLFC have stood down Glenn Riley while he awaits the courts conclusion of a number of driving offences.

“As a club, Whitehaven will always try and do what is right for the player and the club, and we believe that this measure is the correct one at this time.”

Riley came through the ranks at Warrington in 2012, before moving to Swinton Lions on loan and then permanently to London Broncos.

The forward enjoyed spells at Whitehaven and Barrow before moving back to Haven ahead of the 2020 season.

It follows the news that Brad Takairangi will be stood down by Hull KR for driving offences in the same week. Head coach Tony Smith talked about the issue in his press conference.

“We as a club have decided to stand him down until his hearing,” Smith said.

“We need to do something there and recognise the situation that Brad is in – we have to make sure to do the best by him as well.

“Sometimes that’s why removing people from situations where they may not be able to be their best is necessary.

“Brad understands and, as he has done since his incident, has been in admittance of his situation and is not shying away from his responsibility of it.”

Takairangi had previously admitted to dangerously driving his car on the A63 after consuming a significant amount of alcohol, Hull Magistrates Court revealed last week

The former Parramatta Eels star was found to have had an alcohol level more than twice the legal limit which led to him colliding with a police vehicle and in the process causing injury to a police officer, the court heard.

District Judge Mark Daley told Takairangi that given the manner in which he was driving, the consequences of his actions “could have been way worse”.

Judge Daley said Takairangi’s offence was so serious that he would need to be sent to Hull Crown Court for committal for sentence – he will be sentenced on March 31.

Hull KR previously released a statement on the matter, saying: “Hull KR have been made aware by the player and his legal representative of allegations brought against him by Humberside Police.

“The matter is under review by the club and will be dealt with internally.

“There will be no further comment at this stage from the club or player.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Championship