Wakefield hammer Salford to stay in top four

Castleford Wakefield betting

Wakefield Trinity maintained their place in the Super League Super 8s top four with a emphatic 43-18 victory over Salford Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium.

24 points in 18 minutes either side of half-time proved to be enough for Trinity, who are having a storming season under the stewardship of coach Chris Chester and John Kear. Liam Finn was in fine kicking form, nailing nine goals from as many attempts.

Craig Kopczak opened the scoring for Salford in the third minute as he powered over from close range. Todd Carney added the extras for an early 6-0 lead.

However, it didn’t take long for Wakefield to get on the scoreboard themselves. Jacob Miller was first to his own grubber as he touched down, with Liam Finn converting to level the scores.

Joe Arundel was next over the whitewash for the visitors as they took the lead for the first time in the match. Finn once again on target from the tee.

Salford replied on the half-hour mark through Greg Johnson, who had his try converted by Carney.

Miller completed his brace to regain Wakefield’s lead with seven minutes of the half remaining. The try was followed by three consecutive goals from Finn which opened up a ten-point gap between the teams at the break.

After the restart, Finn kept up his penalty ways as he slotted over his third of the match to extend Wakefield’s lead to 24-12.

Things got even better for Trinity soon after thanks to two tries in three minutes.

Tyler Randell claimed a stunning debut try as he broke from the scrum and couldn’t be caught.

Finn converted and the kicking tee soon made another appearance after Bill Tupou crossed following a looping pass from Scott Grix.

There was no problems from the touchline for Finn as he made it eight goals from as many attempts. At 36-12 up, Wakefield were home and hosed.

Just before the hour mark, Randell scored his second try of the evening to get his new side up to the 40 point mark on a night to remember for the Australian. Finn converted.

In response, Salford finally got off the mark in the second half as Tyrone McCarthy crossed. Carney was on target with the conversion but nothing could dampen Trinity’s parade as they moved a step closer to the semi-finals.

Miller decided to rub a bit more salt into the Red Devils’ wounds with a drop goal three minutes from time.