Ex-Wakefield, Wigan and St Helens prop Ricky Bibey died after allegedly subjecting to partner to ‘shocking’ assault

The death of former Wakefield, Wigan and St Helens prop Ricky Bibey aged just 40 sent shockwaves through the rugby league fraternity.

Ricky Bibey played for the then Wildcats from 2007-09 making 60 appearances helping Trinity to their joint best Super League finish in 2009 as John Kear led them to fifth in the table.

Wakefield released a statement on the sad situation in July.

They said: “Trinity are saddened to hear of the passing of former prop-forward Ricky Bibey, aged 40.

“Ricky played for Trinity between 2007 and 2009, making 60 appearances.

“We send our condolences to Ricky’s family and friends at this tough time.”

Ricky will also be remembered by Wigan, Leigh, Oldham and St Helens.

Italian police were previously said to be investigating the death, with a Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) spokesperson telling the Manchester Evening News: “We are in touch with the Italian police following the death of a British man in Florence.”

Bibey was on holiday in Florence with his partner found at the four-star Hotel Continentale in Florence a number of weeks ago.

However, it has since been alleged that Bibey suffered a heart attack after subjecting his partner to a ‘shocking and violent’ attack, according to the Mail Online.

“She (his partner, Jennie) has been doing all she can to help the Italian authorities piece together what happened that night, speaking to them as a witness and as a victim of a domestic assault,” the friend said.

“Jennie is devastated. She is the victim of a shocking and violent attack in the hotel room at the hands of the man she had a long-term relationship with.

“She is a strong woman who runs a successful business and is desperately trying to come to terms with what has happened to her, and Ricky’s actions before his death.”

Bibey’s partner’s friend revealed that Bibey had suffered mental health issues and a “serious downturn” since the beginning of the year.

“He had been in and out of various centres, and this trip was to try and get him back on track – but it ended in tragedy,” they said.

They said Jennie – Bibey’s partner – had suffered a number of serious injuries, including one to her eye socket which was “very worrying,” whilst the impact of her injuries were as such that she had to be transported around the hospital in a wheelchair, but she has been cooperating fully with authorities.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments