Connect with us

Rugby League News

Controversy as St Helens edge Huddersfield Giants after controversial red card

Yesterday we saw a historic Challenge Cup Final as it was the first without Leeds Rhinos, Wigan Warriors, Warrington Wolves and St Helens since 1986 as Leigh Leopards and Hull KR did battle but today the focus shifted back onto Super League as St Helens hosted Huddersfield Giants.

Saints are battling with Challenge Cup winners Leigh Leopards, rivals Wigan Warriors and Catalan Dragons for a place in the top two and an all important home semi-final.

Huddersfield Giants meanwhile are battling with beaten Challenge Cup Finalists Hull KR, Hull FC, Warrington Wolves and Salford Red Devils for a place in the top six, a spot in the play-offs and a chance at winning Super League.

The game today was scheduled for Round One but was postponed due to the fact Saints were in Australia beating Penrith Panthers 13-12 in the World Club Challenge.

It was a key opportunity for both sides and both teams had big team news. Departing halfback Theo Fages was left out of the Giants side whilst Saints welcomed back Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Joe Batchelor.

Will Hopoate and Curtis Sironen were absent for the Saints but it didn’t seem to set the back.

Tommy Makinson took four minutes to open the scoring as he fended off Jake Connor to score in the corner.

By the 10th minute, Saints led 10-0 and it was again Tommy Makinson this time Jack Welsby teed up the winger in the corner to make it 10-0 with Mark Percival converting again to make it 12-0.

In the 18th minute things got worse for Huddersfield when Matty English was sin binned for a cannon ball tackle which started a small scuffle.

Then in the 22nd minute Mark Percival nailed a penalty to make it 14-0.

Then the crucial moment as Joe Greenwood was sent off for leading with the elbow just minutes after coming onto the field sparking another scuffle.

Matty English made amends for the yellow card with a try crossing from a kick taken by Sam Halsall that made it 14-6.

But just before the break Saints restored their lead with Welsby beating defenders and teeing up Makinson for his hat-trick. Percival missed the shot at goal and it was 18-6 but straight after halftime Percival nailed a penalty to make it 20-6.

Huddersfield gave themselves hope however just after the hour mark when Jake Connor fed the ball wide to Ash Golding who finished in the corner to make it 20-10 with Olly Russell again converting to make it 20-12.

It was game well and truly on as former Saint Kevin Naiqama haunted his former side as Tui Lolohea sent him through a gap to make it 20-18.

However, the game was sealed by Saints when Lewis Dodd scoring after his high bomb was grubbered ahead and grounded by Dodd.

To make matters worse, Jack Welsby scored at the death.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News