Warrington Wolves edge out Hull KR

Hull KR were hoping to bounce back from their last minute defeat to Leigh, but they were welcoming a Warrington side who were unbeaten and on seriously impressive form.

Perhaps the only positive for KR was that Warrington were still without the banned Josh McGuire and injured Gil Dudson, but Rovers had injury and suspension problems of their own.

Man of Steel leader Jordan Abdull was absent through injury, as was Kane Linnett, however it was the four-game ban to captain Shaun Kenny-Dowall that will sting the most given his leadership and try-scoring ability (4 this season).

Rovers were able to welcome back Lachlan Coote and he anchored a back line that saw the youth of Louis Senior and Sam Wood, whilst Coote’s creativity would be required to help the halves Mikey Lewis and Rowan Milnes in Abdull’s absence.

As for Warrington their star has been George Williams and he partnered Josh Drinkwater again, whilst Peter Mata’utia was able to return to the centres due to the return of Matty Nicholson in the pack.

It was the home side who got off to the best start as they utilised offloads to push the Warrington defence early on, and that defence broke in the ninth minute.

Frankie Halton was slipped in by Rowan Milnes to score and Lachlan Coote added the extras for the hosts to take a shock early 6-0 lead.

The next 10 minutes saw Warrington on the front foot and Rovers had to defend back to back sets but it didn’t matter as just minutes later their forward pack showed their strength with Kasiano sending Mikaele throw.

Another 10 minutes came during which Warrington were impressive and the sustained pressure was too much with Warrington going 12-6 up.

That second try came from the returning Matty Nicholson but he was on the end of a brilliant George Williams grubber kick.

Rovers would be happy that they went in just 12-6 down given the impressive territory Warrington held, however overplaying might have hindered them at times.

It was deja vu to start the second half as Frankie Halton crossed over within the opening 10 minutes again, however this time Lachlan Coote failed to convert leaving the Robins 12-10 down on the 47th minute mark.

Rovers pushed for the lead however hopes were dented when Matt Parcell limped off on the hour mark, fortunately for Rovers birthday boy Jez Litten is a more than accomplished replacement.

A huge moment in the game came in the 70th minute when Opacic was upended by Kasiano which resulted in a penalty, however Lachlan Coote missed from just 20 metres out leaving Rovers behind 12-10 with ten minutes to go.

Ultimately it didn’t matter as Warrington scored late on through star Australian Paul Vaughan who scored to make it 18-10 and more importantly four wins from four for Daryl Powell’s side.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments