Connect with us

Super League

Super League Roundup: Round Six


Leeds thrash Toronto

Luke Gale claimed two tries in what was a terrific night for the Rhinos. Credit: News Images

Leeds Rhinos temporarily went top of the Super League after a 66-12 victory over Toronto Wolfpack.

The Rhinos scored two tries in the first ten minutes through Brad Dwyer and Richie Myler, but Toronto soon halved the deficit through Josh McCrone.

Leeds dominated the rest of the half. Two tries from Rob Lui and other efforts from Luke Gale and Ash Handley sent the Rhinos in 36-6 ahead.

The Wolfpack claimed the first try of the second half as Jack Wells went over for his first try for the club.

But a second try for Gale, and other efforts from Cameron Smith, Mikolaj Oledski, Adam Cuthbertson and Konrad Hurrell completed a resounding win for the Rhinos.


Huddersfield inflict first home defeat on Saints in over a year

Aidan Sezer kicked the game-winning conversion on a night to remember for Huddersfield. Credit: News Images

Huddersfield Giants managed to become the first team to win at St Helens since Warrington Wolves after a 12-10 victory.

The Giants took the lead through Adam O’Brien, before tries from Luke Thompson and Morgan Knowles had Saints in front heading into the break.

The match was decided by a moment of brilliance by Jake Wardle. He broke from the halfway line and went through to score. Aidan Sezer kicked the important conversion to give Huddersfield a well-earned victory.

Austin the hero for Warrington

Blake Austin’s late drop goal ended Warrington’s run of defeats. Credit: News Images

Warrington Wolves needed a late drop goal from Blake Austin to seal victory against a determined Castleford Tigers side.

The Tigers took the lead through a Danny Richardson penalty, but it was Warrington who led at the break thanks to a try from Tom Lineham.

Stefan Ratchford then added a penalty in the second half, before Cas drew level thanks to a Callum Turner try.

Both sides tried desperately to find a winner, but it was Austin who won it with seconds to go for the hosts.

Hull survive Wakefield fightback

Marc Sneyd kicked the game-winning drop goal to ensure Hull avoided a fourth straight defeat. Credit: News Images

Hull FC survived a huge second half scare to beat Wakefield Trinity 27-26 after extra time.

Trinity took the lead through an early Ryan Atkins try, but Hull were dominant for the rest of the half. Tries from Mahe Fonua, Jamie Shaul and Kieran Buchanan, as well as two Marc Sneyd penalties put the Black and Whites 20-6 up at the break.

Just like the first half, Wakefield started quick and got two tries back thanks to Jay Pitts and a second effort from Atkins.

An Albert Kelly try seemed to put Hull back in control, but two late Tom Johnstone tries levelled the match, Max Jowitt missed the final conversion, meaning the match went to Golden Point.

Golden Point daw Sneyd nail the first drop-goal attempt to win the match for Hull FC.


Dragons hold off Salford

Catalans Dragons put up another impressive home display, as they saw off Salford Red Devils 30-14 in Perpignan.

The hosts went into half time 18-0 up thanks to two tries from Matt Whitley and another from Mikey McIlorum.

Salford did threaten to come back in the second half, thanks to two tries from Ken Sio and another from Niall Evalds. However, a James Maloney penalty for the Dragons made it 20-14.

But two late tries from Lewis Tierney and Fouad Yaha sealed victory for the hosts.


Wigan put in strong second half display to beat Hull KR

Jackson Hastings grabbed two tries in another impressive performance for Wigan. Credit: News Images

Wigan Warriors put up a strong second half performance to beat Hull KR 30-16 at the DW Stadium.

Rovers had took the lead through Ethan Ryan, but tries from Jackson Hastings and Liam Farrell put the Warriors in front.

That didn’t last long however as Greg Minikin levelled the match again before half time. But they couldn’t see it through as Hastings grabbed his second of the afternoon.

Rovers started the second half in similar vain as Ryan Brierley managed to score to bring the visitors back to within two points.

But Wigan took the game away from them then as tries from Sam Powell and Liam Marshall earned a victory that took them back to the top of the Super League.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Super League