Jack de Belin is finally set to make his return to the NRL, 992 days after he last ran out as a St George Illawarra Dragon.
De Belin has been named on the bench for St George’s clash against Brisbane after two trials – where he was defending rape charges – ended with hung juries. The forward had been sidelined for two-and-a-half years under the NRL’s no fault standdown rule.
De Belin and friend Callan Sinclair were accused of taking turns to rape a 19-year-old girl in a Wollongong flat back in December 2018.
Dragons boss Anthony Griffin said he was pleased to see him back in training and that he will be pleased to see him in action again.
‘It was nice to have him there today. I feel good for him,’ Griffin said.
‘The fact that he’s been out for so long to be able to come back and train with the NRL team is good.
‘Most of the players were there Saturday to watch him.
‘It broke the ice. Today is a good feeling to be able to walk in and go to NRL training knowing he’s available now.’