Connect with us

Rugby League News

Senior bags four as Wakefield Trinity pull off huge win over Warrington Wolves to worsen Castleford Tigers’ troubles

It’s official, we genuinely have a Super League relegation battle on our hands with Wakefield Trinity’s huge victory over Warrington Wolves this afternoon having drawn them level on points with relegation rivals Castleford Tigers.

Trinity faced a Warrington side that were bang out of form with five consecutive losses but this was still a Warrington team that had won eight from eight to start the season, and Daryl Powell’s men were also boosted by the return of George Williams.

As for Wakefield they were without Will Dagger which was a big shock for the Trinity fans but the half back pairing of Mason Lino and Luke Gale carried plenty of experience, and they utilised it for the full 80 minutes to secure a historic win.

Trinity’s form of late has seen them win three in five having lost their opening fourteen but this game takes them to their fourth win of the season and it came in impressive fashion.

The game started off in bad fashion for Warrington with Josh Drinkwater knocking on on his own line and that was a sign of things to come for Powell’s men.

Following a strong defensive set the Trin went ahead just before the ten minute mark with Innes Senior, who was having yet another loan spell with Wakefield, crossed over.

Next was Kevin Proctor who registered his first try as a Wakefield player with the score stretched to 10-0 before the 15 minute mark, before Senior then bagged his second of the day just minutes later to make it 14-0.

Luke Gale added two points from in front of the posts when given the opportunity and then Senior completed his hattrick within the first half hour putting the Trinity fans in absolute dreamland.

That remained the score till half time with Warrington being blunt in attack and then walking off to the sheds to a chorus of boos from the Wire faithful.

Instead the Wakefield fans were roaring with applause although just minutes into the second half they got a scare as Paul Vaughan powered over to make it 22-6.

It wasn’t long before Trin were back celebrating as Tom Lineham touched down in the corner on the 54th minute and the result was almost confirmed just two minutes later when Liam Hood shot over from dummy-half to make it 32-6.

The next 15 minutes saw Wakefield generally control the game with brilliant defensive catches from Tom Lineham in particular.

During that period it made sense to just control the game and not allow Warrington a chance to get back into the game, but it must have become a genuine consideration that they could’ve closed the points difference gap on Castleford if they’d pressed on.

They did add more points and it was a dream return for Innes Senior when he added his fourth try of the day with a walk in after a Max Jowitt pass.

Jowitt then got in on the action himself in his 100th game courtesy of a brilliant Matty Ashurst line and then a classic two on one allowed the full-back to score under the sticks with ease.

The conversion took the score to a massive 42-6 with Trinity dominating for the full 80 minutes and condemning Warrington to their sixth consecutive loss.

That win cut the points difference between Applegarth’s men and Andy Last’s from 48 to just 12 putting the pressure on the Tigers massively.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News