Connect with us


Pre-Season Roundup: 5th January

Halifax beat Hull

Halifax kicked off 2020 with an 18-10 win against an inexperienced Hull FC side.

An early try from James Woodburn-Hall had the hosts in front for a long time, before Hull levelled after 50 minutes after a try from Charlie Patterson-Lund.

However, the day would belong to Fax as tries from Paul Brearley and Travis Corion took the game away from Hull FC.

The Black and Whites would have the final word however, as Jacob Hookem managed to get over for a try, but it was too little, too late.

Bulls beaten at Hunslet

Hunslet managed to come out on top with a 26-18 win over Bradford Bulls at the South Leeds Stadium.

It was Bradford who took the lead early on as Murphy Smith went over out wide.

But then Hunslet sprung into life with tries from Josh Tonks, Vila Halafihi and Anthony Boardman sent the Parksiders in 16-6 up at the break.

Trialist Boardman then grabbed his second try to seemingly put Hunslet out of sight.

But back came Bradford as Harry Shackleton and Matthew Race went over to bring the Bulls back to within two points.

However, Hunslet would not be denied as Jordan Andrade got the game-clinching try right at the end.

Featherstone and York draw

Featherstone Rovers needed a late show to rescue a 12-12 draw against York City Knights in their first game of 2020.

Rovers took the lead through Ben Blackmore, who was making his second debut for the club. However, the conversion was missed.

York responded with tries from Connor Robinson and Elliot Wallis on debut, both converted by Robinson, to put them in a strong position.

However, Featherstone posted a late fightback and tries from Sam Ottewell and Louis Jouffret levelled the scores. Both conversions were missed again, meaning Rovers had to settle for a draw.

Widnes win thriller at Rochdale

Tim Sheens won his first game in charge of Widnes Vikings Credit Craig Milner/News Images

Widnes Vikings opened their pre-season campaign with a 34-24 win at Rochdale Hornets.

The Vikings took the lead after just six minutes, as new boy Luke Cooper managed to get over for the try.

It was another new boy who levelled the scores for Rochdale as Andy Lea scored his first professional try.

However, they were not level for long as Widnes went back in front through Owen Buckley. But once again, Widnes were pegged back just three minutes later as Sean Penkywicz went over for his first try.

It was a crazy game, and this time it took Widnes only four minutes to respond as Connor Dwyer followed ex-Thatto Heath teammate Lea in scoring his first professional try.

The game then seemed to settle, and Widnes took control just before the break as Buckley went over for his second of the game.

The first try of the second half was crucial and it went to the Vikings just four minutes in, as Sam Wilde went over. Then the game looked well and truly done as Olly Brookes got in on the action.

Two quickfire tries from Rochdale via Penkywicz and Adam Hesketh’s maiden professional try had threatened to make the second half interesting, but they lost by 10 in the end.

Salford post half-century against Swinton

Niall Evalds was back in try-scoring action against Swinton Lions Credit: Richard Long/News Images

Salford Red Devils started the new year in style with a 52-4 victory against Championship side Swinton Lions.

Two tries from Kris Welham and Niall Evalds and other efforts from Gul Dudson, Ken Sio, Chris Atkin, Rhys Williams and Ryan Lannon had done the damage to Salford.

One thing you can credit Swinton for, is they never put their heads down and got their reward three minutes from the end as Ryan Cray managed to get over.

But the final word would go to Salford as Josh Johnson completed the scoring.

Oldham win at Barrow

Oldham managed to hold on for a 22-18 victory against Barrow Raiders at Craven Park.

It was a fast start from the visitors, two tries from Dan Abram and another from Harry Aaronson seemed to have Oldham cruising to victory after just 19 minutes.

But back came Barrow as Connor Terrill and Declan Hulme struck before the break to get the Raiders back to within a try of their Championship opponents.

But the Greater Manchester side were able to steady the ship with another try as Dan Bridges managed to get over.

Barrow threatened to make it interesting with a Tee Ritson try, but the fell just short in the end.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Championship