Leeds Rhinos reportedly pull off major transfer

Leeds Rhinos, Wigan Warriors, Warrington Wolves, Hull FC and Hull KR have all announced signings for 2024 and many of them have already turned to the NRL.

Wigan have brought back former Huddersfield Giants and Leeds hooker Kruise Leeming to Super League, Warrington have drafted in Newcastle Knights backrow Lachlan Fitzgibbon and Hull KR have signed Oliver Gildart and Peta Hiku.

Now it seems another NRL star is headed to Super League and specifically to Headingley.

Leeds are set to lose some key players raising questions over their spine in 2024 and beyond.

Blake Austin has already left for the Castleford Tigers and Aidan Sezer is headed to Wests Tigers in 2024 by all accounts.

This means they are in the market for a halfback but could also be interested in a fullback with some suggesting Richie Myler will move back to seven in 2024.

The Rhinos have now reportedly signed NRL speedster Lachie Miller from the Newcastle Knights on a three year deal according to the Mole of Wide World of Sports.

He featured at the 2020 Olympic games in the Rugby Union Sevens competition.

Leeds have reportedly beaten a number of Super League clubs to the 29 year old.

A big signing for 2024, Leeds showed that there is still fight in them for 2023 yesterday defeating Warrington Wolves.

Warrington did make the best possible start when in their first set of six Matt Dufty stabbed a kick behind the Leeds defence chased through and grounded the ball in the corner. The try was awarded by the video referee.

Warrington nearly doubled their money when they stripped Leeds for numbers down the right edge with Josh Thewlis trying to squeeze in at the corner but a great tackle from Cameron Smith pulled his foot into touch as confirmed by the video referee. A warning for Leeds.

Leeds began to turn the screw after a sluggish start to proceedings but a lovely inside ball saw them carved up by Matt Dufty. They would cover well but yet another warning for Rohan Smith’s side.

The Rhinos thought they had scored themselves when Rhyse Martin cut inside found Sam Walters in support who juggled the ball batting it backwards to Cameron Smith who touched down but Walters was adjudged to have been taken without the ball and the penalty had been given already.

A moment later though and Leeds were over after a short ball put Sam Walters through, now playing at backrow with James McDonnell off.

Rhyse Martin made it 6-4 but their lead didn’t last long as Matt Dufty carved them open on a kick return and found Matty Ashton who finished off a length of the field try.

It should have been two tries in two minutes as Warrington tore down their left edge with Stefan Ratchford breaking clear. It was a certain try as they found Danny Walker inside but he dropped the ball.

It was another close call for Warrington when a chip kick from George Williams was taken by Ben Currie but it was too deep and he was out of the field as he landed.

Leeds looked dangerous at the other end but frequent miscommunication undid the Rhinos’ attacks again and again.

Just like in the first half, Leeds were slow out of the blocks and Warrington punished them this time earning a penalty which made it 12-6.

However, the scores were soon level when a floated kick to the corner by Aidan Sezer was taken by David Fusitu’a who grounded. The try was looked at for a long period by the video referee and then given.

But Leeds couldn’t capitalise on their momentum and an error allowed Warrington to roll down field where a lovely George Williams ball saw Stefan Ratchford ease through a gap to score. He missed the conversion attempt leaving it at 16-12.

Warrington did cross the whitewash again but it was disallowed by official Ben Thaler for obstruction on James Bentley.

Leeds then went down the other end of the field where a series of offloads allowed Aidan Sezer to waltz through where he found Luke Hooley in support to score his first try for Leeds. Rhyse Martin’s goal made it 18-16.

Leeds then struck a crucial blow after an offload allowed Cameron Smith to storm through and find Hooley. This time he was tackled but on the next tackle an insane Nene MacDonald offload gave the ball to Bentley to score in the corner. Rhyse Martin nailed the conversion to crucially make it 24-16.

But it wasn’t game over with Warrington hitting back immediately as a lovely Josh Drinkwater kick was taken and scored by Matty Nicholson.

Then at the death, Warrington had the chance to win the game but Matt Dufty fumbled a kick through by Stefan Ratchford.