Connect with us


Five of the Greatest Comebacks in Super League

There have  been some great comebacks over the years, here we aim to look at some of the best we have seen in the history of the competition.

Hull FC 27-26 St Helens (2010)

Danny Houghton was one of those to bring back Hull from the dead. Credit: News Images

We start with a dramatic victory for Hull FC back in 2010 over St Helens. Earlier in the season, they had stunned the Saints 32-12 at Knowsley Road.

Hull started well, as Tom Briscoe gave them the lead early on. But from there, it was all Saints for the rest of the first half.

Keiron Cunningham levelled the scores, before Francis Meli ran riot, scoring a hat-trick to take Saints past the 20-point mark. Meli then added a fourth to make it 26-6.

The Black and Whites then scored 21 unanswered points to snatch victory in the most unlikely of circumstances. Tries from Jordan Turner, Danny Houghton, Willie Manu and Danny Tickle, who also added a late drop goal to seal the deal.

Castleford Tigers 28-30 St Helens (2014)

Adam Swift claimed the match-winning try against Castleford Tigers. Credit: Richard Long/News Images

League Leaders St Helens pulled off a stunning late fightback to beat surprise package Castleford Tigers in this one back in 2014.

The hosts took control early on thanks to tries from Jake Webster, Michael Shenton and Grant Millington. Sia Soliola pulled one back for Saints, but Shenton added a second to put Castleford in control at half time.

Saints pulled another two tries back through Jonny Lomax and Tommy Makinson, but a Justin Carney try on the hour mark put the hosts back in control.

The visitors needed a late show, and they found it through tries from Jordan Turner, Paul Wellens and Adam Swift to leave their perfect start in tact, and show that never-say-die attitude the Saints are famous for.

St Helens 32-34 Catalans Dragons (2012)

Remy Casty got the Dragons on the board during their comeback win at St Helens. Credit: News Images

Catalans Dragons managed to become the first visitors to claim victory at Saints’ new Langtree Park stadium after a dramatic victory.

Saints started much the better side, and went into the lead through Gary Wheeler. Catalans responded through Remy Casty.

Further tries from Jamie Foster, Anthony Laffranchi and Tommy Makinson had Saints 26-8 with 45 minutes on the clock.

The Dragons were sensing an opportunity when tries from Damian Blanch, Vincent Dupport and Scott Dureau got them back to within two points.

Wheeler’s second try seemed to calm things down for the Saints as they went back in front by eight points.

But Setaimata Sa’s try managed to get the Dragons back within four points, and then came the most dramatic of conclusions.

In an ending not too dissimilar to Wide to West, the Dragons kept the ball alive spectacularly after the hooter had  sounded. The ball eventually found its way to Daryl Millard, who scored in the corner.

That wasn’t the end the drama either. Referee James Child was unsure and sent it up to video referee Steve Ganson. Ganson then spent four minutes deliberating the play, before eventually awarding the try.

Catalans had at least a draw. Dureau needed to kick the conversion from the touchline for the Dragons to win, and he nailed it, stunning the Langtree Park crowd into silence.

Hull KR 36-42 Wigan Warriors (2012)

Liam Farrell was a try-scorer in Wigan’s clinching of the League Leaders Shield in 2012. Credit: News Images

Wigan Warriors sealed the League Leaders Shield with the biggest comeback in Super League history at Hull KR.

Hull KR raced into a 26-0 lead thanks to tries from Craig Hall, Lincoln Withers, Ben Galea and Jake Webster. Brett Finch and Darrell Goulding responded to make it 26-12 at half time.

Withers would score again to make it 32-12 but Wigan still refused to lie down and pulled another two back through Gareth Hock and Pat Richards.

David Hodgson would cross again for the Rovers but once again  back came Wigan. They won it thanks to tries from George Carmont, Liam Farrell, Josh Charnley and a second from Pat Richards.

It sealed the first trophy for Shaun Wane, in what would become a highly successful first season in charge.

Bradford Bulls 30-31 Wigan Warriors (2007)

Tommy Leuluai kept Wigan in the game during their comeback win at Bradford. Credit Mark Cosgrove/News Images

Wigan made a statement in the 2007 playoffs when they produced this stunning comeback to beat Bradford Bulls at Odsal.

They trailed 30-6 midway through the second half. David Solomona scored a first half hat trick for Bradford, to go with tries from Tame Tupou and Iestyn Harris. Wigan responded through Thomas Leuluai.

In the second half, Mark Calderwood scored a hat trick, Harrison Hansen added another try, and Pat Richards kept his cool to score the match-winning drop goal with four minutes to spare.

Bradford couldn’t respond, and as a result, went out of the playoffs. Wigan managed to get to the Final Eliminator, where they were knocked out by eventual champions Leeds.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Features