It doesn’t get any easier for Bolton Mets

Bolton Mets Halton

After a lengthy break, we travelled to Widnes on Saturday to face Halton Farnworth Hornets A for the first time in many years.

In all honesty, there isn’t much to report from the game as we had to put out a scratch side due to several absentees and we just didn’t have the cohesion that was needed. The youthful Hornets side were just too quick and agile for us and they soon opened up a big lead.

We did manage to keep the gap to just two points for a short period after stand in Hooker Paul Leigh channelled his inner Neil Walsh and chose to dive over from close range. Credit to Paul for spotting the gap and touching down to open his account for the season but a persistent knee injury saw him leave the field later in the second half.

There were other highlights from the game, including the father and son partnership of Darren Robinson and Darren Robinson Jnr, the latter making his Mets debut at just 16 years of age, playing on the same team for the first time. In contrast to the debut of 16 year old Darren Robinson Jnr, Bolton RUFC veteran Derek Keogh made his Mets bow at 51 but certainly rolled back the years with several excellent ball carries. There was also a third debutant for the Mets, Simon Leather kitting up for the first time and putting in a solid shift on the right Wing.

As the half time whistle blew the score stood at 54-4 to the Hornets, even though the game had now gone we continued to keep our sense of humour and just enjoy the game where possible. Al Scarbrough chose the break to introduce Garth Smith and Steven Murphy whilst resting Tom Knight and Jason Nuttall.

The second half followed a similar pattern, the Home side ball handlers were full of beans and with side steps that could break ankles they ran in try after try. The Full Back, the Half Backs and the Hooker were all outstanding and will no doubt be vying for places within the Hornets First Team sooner rather than later.

The score board continued to tick over for Halton but we did have patches where we troubled then in defence. Loose Forward Josh Bourne and Second Rower Ryan Terry both went close to scoring in the last 15 minutes before Stand Off Joe Harte was held up over the line.

The game ended with one final try for the Hornets and a comprehensive victory was registered at 106-4. The score line isn’t something we’re happy with but as a club we have always tried our best to fulfil league fixtures rather than take the option of forfeiting and paying a £20 fine and receiving a 1 point deduction.

It almost goes without saying that Captain Ryan Terry walked away as Top Tackler, whilst Joe Harte claimed Man of the Match. Terry and Bourne were runners up in the MOM but one key incident that helped clinch it for Harte was an 80-metre chase down of the spritely Winger mid-way through the first half.

We’re back at Greenhalgh’s Pavilion on Saturday 10th June as we entertain Blackpool Stanley, the game will have a 2.30pm KO.

We are always looking for new players to join club, whether experienced or novice, so please feel free to get in touch. Any males aged 16 years and over can play Open Age Rugby League in the NWML so if you are interested please contact Stuart Cooke on 07802 608256 or at

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments