Andy Last sacked by Castleford Tigers with relegation looming after dropping to the bottom of Super League

Castleford Tigers have confirmed that they have sacked head coach Andy Last after the club slipped to bottom of the table following a 28-0 defeat at home to Huddersfield Giants.

That marked a fifth straight loss for the club and as a result they have pulled the trigger and dismissed Andy Last after just eighteen Super League games in charge, making him the second Castleford Tigers boss to be sacked this season following Lee Radford after round three.

The Tigers have just six games to save their Super League status and with resurgent Wakefield Trinity picking up form then the club have taken this action.

Tonight’s game was just the culmination of a season of struggles with an aging squad, scandals off the field and then also the form that had undeniably been below par when considering that the club were just minutes from making the playoffs last season.

During Last’s time in charge the club recorded two wins over Leeds Rhinos as well as victories against Warrington Wolves and Wakefield Trinity.

The club have confirmed the news by releasing the following brief statement:

“Castleford Tigers can confirm that Andy Last has departed the club with immediate effect.

“The club will make a further statement after the weekend.”

Ian Watson’s men comfortably beat the Tigers tonight with a Sam Halsall hattrick and one a piece from Leroy Cudjoe and Chris McQueen helping them cruise to the win.

The performance from the home side led to fans protesting at the stadium afterwards in which they refused to leave as they aired their disappointment.

One of those at Wheldon Road who took part in the protest took to Twitter to share reasons why and show footage of the incident.

Sky Sports also reported on the protests which was noted by the Twitter user to justify the actions in trying to force action and confirming that the protest had gone on for over half an hour after the final hooter.