Connect with us

Leeds Rhinos

Super League Disciplinary: Appeal controversially fails as others succeed

Leeds Rhinos

Earlier this week, the Rugby Football League (RFL) has acknowledged that the new Head Contact Sentencing Framework implemented during Round Two of the Betfred Super League caused confusion and controversy around Super League disciplinary. The RFL made this statement after the Match Review Panel meeting held on Monday.

Following this, they had to deal with five appeals from Round One and Round Two from Leigh Leopards, Hull FC and Leeds Rhinos after a week of controversy starting from the last appeals but reaching fever pitch in the weekend’s games.

The red card shown to Fa’amanu Brown during the Warrington Wolves and Hull FC match was the most controversial incident during the round.

The RFL has said that officials were in a difficult position during the match due to a lack of clarity in the procedures regarding head-on-head contact. However, after studying the incident, the MRP did not find it worthy of a charge under the Framework. As a result, the section of the Framework relating to head-on-head contact will be amended to clarify that it only applies to the initial contact.

Going forward, officials should use their knowledge and game understanding to determine the level of culpability of the tackler and the appropriate sanction once the mechanics of the tackle become more fluid. The Betfred Super League head coaches will be reminded of this point at a pre-arranged meeting on Wednesday. In addition, playing representatives of all 12 Super League clubs will be educated on the new framework at a separate meeting later in the day.

This is a significant step forward in ensuring player safety while maintaining the integrity of the sport. Accidents are an inevitable part of the game, but this amendment should prevent similar controversies in future matches.

Super League disciplinary appeals

The independent Operational Rules Tribunal has made the following decisions following incidents in Rounds One and Two from the Betfred Super League as the Super League disciplinary controversies continue.

Jack Hughes of Leigh Leopards successfully challenged a Grade B Dangerous Contact charge from the Round One fixture against Huddersfield Giants. He was found not guilty, meaning a punishment of a £250 fine no longer applies.

Tom Amone, also of Leigh Leopards, had been charged with Grade C head contact following an incident in the same Round One fixture, but the charge was amended to a Grade B. Amone’s challenge against the Grade B charge was rejected, meaning he will serve a one-match suspension, with a £500 fine.

Ricky Leutele, also of Leigh Leopards, successfully challenged a Grade C head contact charge, again from the Round One fixture, which would have carried a one-match suspension. His not guilty plea was upheld.

Sam Lisone of Leeds Rhinos was unsuccessful in his challenge against a Grade D head contact charge following last Thursday’s Round Two fixture at Hull KR. He must therefore serve a three-match suspension, with a £250 fine.

Liam Sutcliffe of Hull FC was unsuccessful in his challenge against the grading of a Grade D charge of contact with a match official in last Friday’s Round Two fixture at Warrington. He must therefore serve a two-match suspension, and pay a £250 fine.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Graham

    February 28, 2024 at 11:05 pm

    Same old same old. Disciplinary is a joke unless you play for one of the chosen few. Fewliss, blatant head high tackle to stop a try being scored. Disciplinary seemed to miss it. To be fair it was against a hull player so it doesn’t really count

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Leeds Rhinos