Featherstone Rovers face terrible consequences after London Broncos defeat

Featherstone Rovers have again been denied a place alongside Leeds Rhinos, Wigan Warriors, Warrington Wolves and St Helens in the Betfred Super League.

They lost to London Broncos in the Championship semi-final suffering a similar fate to last year.

This could forever work against the Rovers with the club missing out on Super League the last time that promotion will be decided via regular means.

This is because of IMG’s changes next year which will see Super League places determined by a grading system and many feel this will work against them and the club even voted against it.

Thus, the club could have missed out on Super League for the long term. Also they could also lose a number of current players and signings for next year.

They were blown away by London from the first minute. They got off to an electric start with Alex Walker scoring from an inside ball before a lovely move down the left wing allowed former Super League star and Catalans Dragons centre Dean Whare to score.

Featherstone gave themselves a chance with a try for Chris Hankinson on his 200th appearance.

It was well and truly game on when Joey Leilua crossed six minutes before the break and it looked set to be level at the interval but the away side notched another try and a second for Alex Walker as he fired the Broncos back in front.

Featherstone needed a reaction but it didn’t come with the Broncos crossing again in the 52nd way with Whare setting up Iliess Macani finishing off the move and giving them a 24-12 lead.

At that scoreline, Featherstone still had hope but the Broncos made it two tries in three minutes through Dalton Grant after a sublime move down the left edge.

Around this time things got worse for Fev with Brad Day sin binned for a tackle that went above the horizontal.

A sixth try followed from Henry Raiwalui scored next as former Super League and NRL star Corey Norman pulled the strings.

Hankinson notched a second try but by now the game was all but gone especially as the conversion was missed.

With 15 minutes to go, London had a 20 point lead and had one foot in the Grand Final against Toulouse Olympique.

The Rovers gave themselves half a chance with 10 minutes to go when Luke Briscoe crossed to make it 36-20 with Mark Kheirallah converting.

10 to go and there was 14 points in it, half a chance for the Rovers. They had more of a chance when Joey Leilua scored a second to make it 36-26.