Challenge Cup Finalists face nervous disciplinary wait

Yesterday as Leeds Rhinos and Leigh Leopards battled alongside a big game between Hull FC and Wakefield Trinity and a clash between Salford Red Devils and St Helens, the action in another round of Super League concluded.

Leeds were beaten at home by the Leopards 13-6 after tries from Tom Amone and Edwin Ipape as well as a drop goal from Ben Reynolds.

St Helens meanwhile battled back from 15-2 behind to win 18-15 against Salford Red Devils to spoil the celebrations of the club’s 150th year.

In the other game, Hull FC cemented their play-off hopes with a thumping win over Wakefield Trinity which plunged Trinity to the bottom of the table after Castleford Tigers dropped their on Friday night after defeat against Huddersfield Giants.

The Giants won 28-0 against the Tigers at the Jungle but the focus was all on the Tigers. Fans stayed behind to protest and they got what they wanted in a way as the club chose to part company with Andy Last after the game.

Elsewhere on Friday night, Warrington were well beaten by Catalans Dragons despite strong starts to both halves.

Meanwhile, Hull KR were preparing for a big story of their own at Wembley this week which is why they rested so many stars against Wigan Warriors leading to a comprehensive defeat.

That was a very different approach to the one taken by Leigh Leopards with the Leopards only resting Josh Charnley and Zak Hardaker with Oliver Gildart starting ahead of Hardaker.

Gildart is ineligible for the game on Saturday at Wembley due to late registration. He is set to sign for Hull KR in 2024.

Leigh would hope he was available for the game with Ricky Leutele out and they will be sweating after some incidents in the game at Headingley with fears over potential suspension.

Leopards forward Matt Davis was in bother over a tip tackle which has can be heavily punished but he will likely avoid punishment due to a clear effort to avoid hurting his opponent.

However, he could be in trouble over a late hit on Aidan Sezer though fortunately he appeared to avoid contact with the head.

The same could be said of Gareth O’Brien when he took Ash Handley out in the air.