Connect with us

Rugby League News

Amateur side York Acorn upset the odds to knock League One side out of Challenge Cup

The third round of the Challenge Cup has thrown up a major upset with amateur side York Acorn defeating League One side Cornwall.

York Acorn play in the National Conference Premier Division but are still an amateur organisation and they’ve earned their way into the fourth round thanks to a brilliant win over Cornwall.

Not only did they beat a League One side but they also managed to beat them on the road down in Cornwall with Acorn having undertaken a monstrous seven-hour and 400-mile journey.

Acorn had made it to the third round with a win over Orrell St James on the road, but this trip was completely different given the major journey and the step up in class.

York Acorn are now rewarded with a home clash against either Stanningley or Wath Brow Hornets in the fourth round, both also amateur clubs meaning there will be at least one amateur side in the round five draw.

York Acorn record historic Challenge Cup victory

League One Cornwall have been knocked out of the Challenge Cup by amateur side York Acorn.

League One Cornwall have been knocked out of the Challenge Cup by amateur side York Acorn. – Picture by Patrick Tod/ -Copyright: x xSWpix.comxt/axPhotographyxHubxLtdxPatrickxTod/SWpix.comx

It started badly for Acorn as Matt Chilton was sent to the sin bin after just five minutes, however, the visitors managed to score with just 12 men when Jack Bryne crossed over to make it 4-0 just after the ten-minute mark.

The game was an incredibly feisty affair and that was highlighted in the 25th minute when a melee broke out leading to a sin bin for each side.

Just minutes later Cornwall got on the board and took the lead with Dimech’s converted try making it 6-4 after half an hour.

Acorn responded immediately and were able to go into halftime in front thanks to Alfie Crawford’s short-range effort.

Cornwall kept in it though as they pulled one back but missing the conversion meant York still had the lead with half an hour to play.

Tempers flared again on the hour mark as a brawl kicked off to grant a Cornwall penalty but on the subsequent play another melee broke out, officials struggling to contain the clash.

Cornwall’s Josh Hartshorne saw red and with a man advantage Acorn made the most and scored to make it 18-10 with just 15 minutes to play.

Another sin bin for Cornwall cemented what was a bad day as York Acorn held on for a historic and impressive win, and one that was certainly hard-fought.

The reward of a home tie against fellow amateurs will make the 400-mile return trip all the easier.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News