Connect with us

Hull KR

Willie Peters storms down from coaches box to berate officials in Challenge Cup semi-final

Hull KR Challenge Cup

Hull KR are facing Wigan Warriors in a repeat of last season’s Challenge Cup semi-final but rather than being a tight affair as it was in 2023, Matt Peet’s side are on top early on.

Last year’s game at Headingley was decided by a Brad Schneider drop goal to send the Robins to Wembley for the first time since 2015. Unfortunately for Hull KR, it was another defeat in the big game, that time a drop goal coming against them as Lachlan Lam wrote himself into the history books.

It looks like Hull KR might not be visiting Wembley this year though with the Robins trailing 18-0 approaching the half, but it was the second try that has caused contention with Hull KR boss Willie Peters seemingly furious about the build-up to it.

Hull KR Challenge Cup hopes dwindle and spark fury from Willie Peters

Hull KR head coach Willie Peters speaking with a microphone

Credit: Imago Images

Wigan’s number four put the Warriors up 4-0 after just four minutes with the Harry Sunderland Award winner from 2023 scoring with ease as he exposed Hull KR’s right edge.

The Robins struggled to get a foothold in the game early on with possession consistently gifted to Wigan and it appears to have been Hull KR returning the ball to Wigan which saw Willie Peters fuming.

After a high bomb from Tyrone May saw Jai Field catch the ball near his goal line, referee Chris Kendall awarded a penalty to Wigan which saw them start in far better territory.

It was unclear if that was awarded due to a Hull KR man tackling Field after he caught the ball on the full in the in-goal area, or if there was another infringement such as an offside. Whatever it was granted Wigan brilliant territory and Matt Peet’s side used it before going on to score via Abbas Miski.

The Lebanese international caught a brilliantly placed Bevan French kick to ground in the corner but in the aftermath, the Hull KR head coach had apparently stormed down pitchside to confront the fourth official.

That was revealed by BBC‘s Tanya Arnold, who said: “Whilst we were getting the video ref decision there, Willie Peters stormed down from where he was watching the game to have very strong words with the fourth official.

“He is not happy about a couple of the decisions that have gone against his team and he certainly didn’t feel that Wigan deserved a penalty in the build-up to that try.”

Since that try, Wigan have added three more with Junior Nsemba barging over, Abbas Miski adding a second to complete his brace after a Joe Burgess error and Harry Smith also getting in on the act. That’s seen the Super League champions go 24-0 up and seemingly on their way to the Challenge Cup Final.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Eric T Cat

    May 18, 2024 at 11:36 pm

    I’m afraid the standard of refereeing doesn’t match the intensity of the sport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Hull KR