Connect with us

Hull KR

Willie Peters calls for “clarification” on laws as Hull KR are dumped from Challenge Cup

Hull KR

Hull KR saw their hopes of heading to Wembley for a second successive year slashed as they lost to Wigan Warriors in a semi-final for the second time in less than eight months.

The Robins didn’t just lose either, they were played off the park at times by a Wigan side that didn’t have to earn too much and that will be a huge point of frustration for Willie Peters who has now twice seen his team hammered by Matt Peet’s men in semi-final.

Today’s 38-6 loss comes just 224 days after the Super League playoff semi-final defeat that was 42-12, and on neither occasion have the Robins given a fair account of themselves. Testament to that is the fact that they managed to beat Wigan just last month and in impressive fashion but that 26-10 win pales in comparison to today’s defeat.

Wigan got ahead after four minutes when exposing the Hull KR right edge and from that point onwards the game became somewhat of a procession, 24-0 at halftime turned into 38-6 after 80 minutes with Mikey Lewis’ moment of magic to set up Joe Burgess saving KR from a whitewash.

However, there were question marks over the first two Wigan tries with calls for a forward pass and then an escort that gave Wigan territory on the second being asked. Willie Peters himself asked plenty during the game after it was revealed that he had stormed down to confront the fourth official.

Post-game, he was far more reserved but he has flagged up concerns still.

Hull KR coach seeks clarification on “certain decisions”

Speaking post-match to BBC Humberside, Peters explained that whilst Wigan were by far the better team and Hull KR could have no complaint about the result, there were questions to be asked about ‘certain decisions’.

“We’re up against world champions and they showed that they’re world champions for a reason. They showed that they’re the benchmark of the competition,” Peters explained as his initial assessment of the game, before then quizzing some of the decisions that didn’t go the way of the Robins.

“There were a couple of things there that I wasn’t happy about,” the Australian explained when asked about his antics that saw him quiz the fourth official during the first half.

Continuing, he added: “I just want to get clarification around an escort and what that looks like. There were a couple of times offside and things in the ruck but we got beat today by Wigan, who are a far better team.

“Yes, there was some frustration around certain decisions that were made, there’s no doubt about that, but we got beaten by Wigan.”

Pushed further on what his gripes were, Peters was once again quick to clarify that despite the frustration, none of the issues caused the defeat. Instead, he spoke on his team’s need to be accountable but that doesn’t mean he wants the issues to go unaddressed.

He said: “I just wouldn’t like to see in major games some decisions impact those bigger games, but the referees certainly didn’t have any impact on the final score today.

“As I said though, in big games, and today it wasn’t any moment in particular, but moments in games and winning those key moments are important. We wanted to start fast and we didn’t. We had something go against us that I believe went against us and we didn’t defend it.

“That’s where we need to be better and that’s where I’ll own up as a coach and the players will own. I’d just like to get some clarification around some certain things that were made, decisions that were made.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Hull KR