Wigan Warriors suffer huge blow

Wigan Warriors laid down a real marker on Saturday as they jostle with St Helens, Leigh Leopards and the side they beat at the top of the table Catalans Dragons.

It was a crucial win but one that could have come at a cost with Brad O’Neill suffering a potentially broken rib in the game after an incident when he attempted to tackle Sam Tomkins who lifted his knee and O’Neill was forced to come off the field.

Peet would later reveal that O’Neill was set for an x-ray to determine the extent of the injury as questions were asked about Tomkins’ behaviour.

“I’m not going to comment on it … everyone saw what happened,” Peet told Wigan Today.

“I don’t think it’s my place to say anything.

“Brad has gone for X-rays. We needled him up to get him back out there in the second half but it was no good. He’s got a rib issue and we’ll find out the seriousness of it in the coming days I guess.”

Wigan started the game excellently rolling Catalans down field frequently doing what is rarely seen in Super League and out muscling the Dragons in their own back yard.

As they routinely forced their way down field, Wigan eventually got their try as a probing kick from Bevan French caused confusion.

Tom Johnstone came across to deal with it colliding with Toby King allowing Abbas Miski to get to the ball and ground it to score.

Another kick led to another try as Miski rose highest to claim the kick before offloading to centre Toby King to score.

Wigan were on top and causing problems down the edge for Catalans especially down their right and the left of the French side.

Speaking of French, Bevan French continued to torment the Dragons as he ducked and darted through tackles busting tackles to power his way over the line in the corner.

A second conversion from Harry Smith, who also missed a penalty, made it 16-0 before Miski claimed a second try on the stroke of halftime.

Again French caused problems with a probing run and Miski hit a line inside as dummy runners moved wide of the winger allowing Miski to go through on his disguised line and powered through the cover to score a second try.

He would later score his third try as Wigan stormed to a statement victory over the league leaders.

Jake Wardle would add another try capitalising on a Tyrone May error.

It was a result that cemented Wigan’s title credentials but brought up serious questions about the league leaders Catalans Dragons.