Wigan Warriors star sent off in Challenge Cup semi-final

Wigan Warriors may be leading in the Challenge Cup semi-final but they have now been reduced to 12 men for the second half.

Joe Shorrocks has been sent off for a high tackle on Mikey Lewis to start the half.

The incident came after a pulsating first 40.

The Robins could have been forgiven for feeling hard done by when Ryan Hall pulled out of the side late before kick-off but they stood up to early pressure before a delightful scrum move saw Louis Senior slide in at the corner.

Hall’s injury saw Mikey Lewis moved to fullback and Ethan Ryan moved to the wing. Lewis showed his worth with amazing footwork to confuse the Wigan chasers when they looked to trap him in goal.

Hull KR had the better of the first half but they were behind when Jai Field was given enough space to weave through and score in the corner.

Up against it at this point in the game, Shaun Kenny-Dowall turned the game when he intercepted but sadly he couldn’t go the distance but the Robins were now building pressure.

After absorbing a spell of pressure themselves, Wigan went down field and nailed a penalty to make it 8-4.

Now though the Warriors will have to do it with just 12 men much like they did against Warrington Wolves in the quarter-finals when Kaide Ellis was sent off for a head butt.

This time Shorrocks went in full blooded on stand in fullback Lewis and bounce around his chin.

This is why he was sent off after the video referee inspected the incident after Liam Moore had initially waved play on.

The video ref is Ben Thaler.

Despite being a man down Wigan were next to score, adding two points from a penalty, but their six point lead was extinguished through an Ethan Ryan try – one that came shortly after Shaun Kenny-Dowall returned to the field having been sin binned for an earlier professional foul.

Rovers did get back into the game though when SKD returned to the field with the skipper playing a pivotal role in the try that Ethan Ryan scored in the corner.

Following Ryan’s score there wasn’t another point scored in normal time and so with the game tied at 10-10 it went to golden point, and at that point the effect of Shorrock’s red card paid dividends with not enough kick pressure to prevent Hull KR’s new star Brad Schneider from kicking a 40 metre drop goal to send Rovers to Wembley, courtesy of an 11-10 win.