If there has been one news story that has dominated proceedings in 2022 it has been the future of Wigan Warriors star Bevan French.
For a man whose contract runs out at the end of the season, you would not have thought there was any pressure on the flyer to sign a deal with how he has performed in 2022 so far.
The Australian livewire has formed a perfect partnership with fellow pace merchant Jai Field to strike fear into the hearts of Super League defenders.
It is unsurprising, therefore, that French broke the record for the most amount of tries scored in one game with seven earlier on in the season in a drubbing of Hull FC at the DW Stadium.
Since then, French has continued to get his head down and put every ounce of effort in to helping Wigan get that second place in the Super League table as well as get ready for the play-offs as best as possible.
Of course, the Warriors now have a week off because of their second-placed finish but will be back in action next Friday night in their semi-final.
However, the future of French still continues to be a talking point yet despite Newcastle Herald journalist Barry Toohey repeatedly stating that the 26-year-old had signed for the Newcastle Knights, he has now gone back on his view.
On his own podcast Toohey’s News, Toohey was asked by a listener when a deal for French was going to be announced with which the respected journalist responded: “Bevan French is an interesting one, it had been touted that he had agreed to terms going back two or three weeks ago,” Toohey said.
“However, I now suspect that Wigan are trying very hard to keep French in England and has offered him a substantial amount more than the Knights to come home.
“He hasn’t signed anything and whether he changes his mind to stay over then that is a possibility.
“If you asked me three weeks ago if Bevan French was coming I would have said yes, now I’m not so sure.”
It still remains to be seen where French’s future does lie, but there appears to be more twists and turns in the story.