Connect with us

Rugby League News

Warrington Wolves remain unbeaten as they whitewash Castleford Tigers

Matty Russell scores an acrobatic try for Warrington against Castleford Tigers.

Castleford Tigers got in the winning column last week against Leeds Rhinos but tonight they faced a much tougher test with top of the table Warrington Wolves heading to the Jungle.

The Tigers have won one and lost one since Lee Radford was relieved of his duties with Andy Last occupying the interim role.

Former Castleford boss Daryl Powell has had a brilliant start to his second season with Warrington, particularly compared to the dismal 2022 that the Wire endured.

Last named a strong side with Greg Eden once again featuring at full-back following the injury to Niall Evalds, whilst Adam Milner made his 300th career appearance.

Castleford received a boost even before kick-off when one of Warrington’s star signings Josh Drinkwater wasn’t named in the squad, forcing Pete Mata’utia into the halves.

Matty Russell also was named and made his second debut for the Wolves.

It didn’t matter that Drinkwater wasn’t involved as Warrington went about making Castleford look very ordinary without him, and without really getting out of second gear.

Sam Kasiano forced his way over inside 10 minutes for Warrington to take the lead and whilst Castleford did have chances it was the away side who scored second.

Matty Russell crowned his second debut with a try on the 20 minute mark after Greg Eden’s stray pass and not two minutes later Thomas Mikaele shot through a gap to make it 18-0, Ratchford converting all three early tries.

Castleford managed to stem the flow but it was Warrington who crossed over next when Matt Dufty’s lofted pass allowed Russell to add a second in the corner.

Ratchford converted to keep his record perfect and leave the visitors leading 24-0 at half time and Andy Last with a hell of a task to enthuse his men.

Regardless of what Last said to his men it was a case of Warrington continuing to pile the pressure on and signing of the season so far, Paul Vaughan, scored 10 minutes into the second half.

Just two minutes later Warrington added anther try through George Williams and then on the hour mark Matt Dufty got in on the action as well to make it a huge 38-0.

That would be the last of the scoring on a night where Warrington stamped their authority and dominance at the top of the table.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News