Connect with us

Super League

Warrington Wolves 24-32 Salford Red Devils: Highlights and match report

Going into today’s game both sides were level on points but there was much more positivity around Salford.

That’s certainly the case as a great comeback from the Red Devils in a six minute spell gave them an eight-point win despite trailing with 10 minutes to go. It was a short spell which could define both teams’ seasons.


Quintessential Clark
When things weren’t going their way, one of Warrington’s big names stepped up to change the course of the game. Daryl Clark scored a typical try slicing through the Salford defence at considerable pace.

Wardle makes his mark on debut
On debut after featuring in a swap deal which saw Toby King head to Huddersfield, Jake Wardle debuted for Warrington today and made a lasting impression with a weaving run to help create a superb try for Gareth Widdop.

Watkins makes amends
Kallum Watkins’ yellow card could have been seen as a turning point in the game as Warrington scored three quick tries to start the second half with the centre turned second-row sent off just prior to the break. But upon his return, he helped create a superb score for Chris Atkin to get Salford back in the game.

Six minute splurge from Salford settles it
Going into the last 10 minutes, Salford trailed by 10 points but would go on to win by eight thanks to three tries in six minutes with a brace from Jack Ormondroyd and one for Ryan Brierley turning the game on its head and giving Salford the win in a spell which could define both teams’ seasons.

Match Report:

No doubt brimming with confidence after putting 70 points on Wakefield last week, it was unsurprising when Salford scored the opening try through Rhys Williams within the opening 10 minutes.

The score came via a Marc Sneyd kick on the lack but the former Hull halfback couldn’t convert. However, it wouldn’t be long until the Red Devils increased their lead through a right side raid. It came after increasing pressure from Salford and saw Ryan Brierley put Deon Cross over to double Salford’s lead with Sneyd again unsuccessful with the boot.

Up against it, Warrington could ill-afford missed opportunities but new boy Thomas Mikaele let a chance for his first Warrington try pass him by when he knocked on over the line.

The Wolves wouldn’t have to rue that missed chance for long with Daryl Clark slicing through in typical fashion before racing clear to score. That coupled with Stefan Ratchford’s conversion trimmed Salford’s lead down to two points.

That was a crucial moment but perhaps more important than the points on the board were the points not scored as Gareth Widdop’s late tackle denied Sneyd a vital try just before halftime and compounding that missed opportunity Kallum Watkins was sent to the sin bin.

So, Warrington were trailing at the break but the door was firmly open and the first 10 minutes of the second stanza – most of which were devoid of Watkins due to his yellow – would turn the game upside down and could go on to define Warrington’s season.

Ratchford gave Warrington the lead for the first time just two minutes into the second half converting his own try to make it 12-8.

Then a brilliant try involving Warrington debutant Jake Wardle. After a darting probe from Widdop, he released Wardle who turned the cover inside and out before being hauled down. Then from the very next tackle Widdop started the move he started as he darted over to make it 18-8.

Try three in 12 minutes came shortly after this time Jake Thewlis finishing things off with a kick and chase to make it 24-8 as Ratchford maintained his perfect kicking record.

Salford weren’t going to die wondering however and Kallum Watkins demonstrated exactly what Salford lacked in his absence when he skipped passed his man before a superb pass put Chris Atkin over. Sneyd converted for the first time to make it 24-14.

Lending further credence to the notion that Salford wouldn’t go away as Jack Ormondroyd stormed through a gap on the back of Marc Sneyd’s pass. He again converted but his earlier misses were now the difference in this eight try game split equally.

He would more than make amends for those earlier misses however when his conversion gave Salford the lead again after Jack Ormondroyd crashed over for a second try in quick succession as Salford completed a remarkable turnaround.

That was bad for Warrington but what was worse was that Warrington’s hopes were totally dashed when a Tyler Dupree break helped create a try for Brierley. That was converted by Sneyd to wrap up the game at 32-24 with three tries in six minutes to win the game in a pivotal spell that could come to define both sides’ seasons.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Super League