Wakefield chairman Michael Carter fears for the club’s short-term Super League future because of the uncertainty surrounding their new stadium.
Carter says the RFL could ask Trinity to resign on Monday when they must deliver plans on where the club will play next season.
Plans for a 10,000 all-seater stadium at Newmarket were approved in 2012, but there has been no progress due to issues with the site developers and Wakefield council.
“The club has had no dialogue with the council over the last week, yet we have to go to the RFL on Monday with our plan,” Carter told the Yorkshire Post.
“But at this moment in time there is no plan and I have nothing firm I can tell them. It’s a valid point to make, then, that the RFL could literally turn around and tell us they want us to resign as a member of Super League.
“That is a real genuine concern. I’m not sure if the council think this is some sort of joke. It really isn’t.”
This year is meant to be Wakefield’s last at a deteriorating Belle Vue and they are seemingly facing the impossible task of proving they will have their new stadium ready for 2019.
What the RFL will decide on is unknown, but Trinity are likely to seek further dispensation in a bid to buy more time in the quest for a new home.
During Round One of the Betfred Super League, a shocking incident occurred at the...
During Round One of the Betfred Super League, Castleford Tigers‘ player Liam Watts was...
Leeds Rhinos‘ new signing Paul Momirovski and opponent Ryan Brierley were both sent to...