Toulouse Olympique 11-24 Salford Red Devils: Highlights and match report

Salford gave their play-off hopes a massive boost today with a win in France at the expense of a goof Toulouse side who performed well on the night reminding everyone of the quality they possess which they hope will secure their survival.


Brilliant Burgess tackle
When trailing 7-6 heading towards the break, a second try for Toulouse would have left them well in control and it nearly came as Olly Ashall-Bott broke and fed Tony Gigot who looked destined to score but for a brilliant ankle tap from Joe Burgess.

Salford’s superb wingers
Burgess didn’t just stop a try, he helped himself to two as well as did fellow winger Ken Sio as the two again prove why they might be one of the best pairs of wingers in the league.

Match Report:

Two teams high on confidence, defying the odds and playing good rugby; this was always going to be an exhilarating affair in France and it got off to a fast start too.

Within two minutes, Toulouse opened the scoring shifting the ball right where Mathieu Jussaume was on hand to finish the move on his return making it 6-0 to the hosts.

Around the 10 minute mark, Salford were building up the pressure but the Toulouse defence remained resolute as they chased a fourth win on the spin to really put them in the driver’s seat in the race for survival.

They came close to a second try as the game entered the second quarter thanks to a probing kick but Salford did enough to prevent the score.

That was made all the more important when a Marc Sneyd kick to the corner was claimed by Joe Burgess who scored. Sneyd’s conversion levelled matters but Toulouse smartly nudged themselves back in front shortly after through a Tony Gigot drop goal.

He very nearly had a try to his name too as Olly Ashall-Bott broke from the restart sending him away only to be denied by a Joe Burgess ankle tap.

After missing a gilt-edge chance, it wasn’t surprising to see Toulouse take the next chance they had to get points on the board notching a penalty just before halftime to make it 9-6 at the break.

The early pressure in the second half came from Salford and eventually it paid off when Ryan Brierley’s long ball put Ken Sio over in the corner. Sneyd’s conversion left the Red Devils with a one point lead so when Toulouse were awarded another penalty they took the two to nudge themselves ahead once more 11-10.

Their one point lead lasted barely a minute before Burgess got his second to make it 16-11 coupled with the conversion with Sneyd then giving Salford a seven point lead with a penalty.

It was a game all about the wingers for Salford and try scoring sensation Sio wasn’t going to be out done by buddy Burgess. He again took a long pass this time from Brodie Croft before cutting inside to score to make it 24-11 with the conversion from Sneyd.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments