Top Five Opening Round Matches

Here, we look at the top five opening round matches in the 24-year history of the Super League.

Salford City Reds 26-30 Leeds Rhinos (2007)

Leeds Rhinos started the 2007 season well, after surviving a huge second half scare to see of Salford City Reds at The Willows.

Two tries from Brent Webb, and other efforts from Rob Burrow and Danny McGuire had the Rhinos 22-6 up at half-time. Salford had responded through John Wilshere.

Wilshere then grabbed his second, and Aaron Moule then crossed for Salford to make it game on. Although, Jordan Tansey crossed to seemingly put the game away for Leeds.

However, Salford were not done, as Gareth Haggerty scored and Moule grabbed his second, but they couldn’t find that final try.

Halifax 30-27 Hull FC (2000)

Halifax started the 2000 season with a thrilling 30-27 win over Super League new boys Hull FC at The Shay.

After Ben Sammut and Martin Pearson exchanged penalties, it was Hull who grabbed the first try, as Brian Carney ran in. Sammut then scored another penalty to make it 8-2.

Fax then pulled themselves back into it, as Andrew Dunemann broke clear and scored, and then Damian Gibson scored to put the hosts in front for the first time.

Sammut then scored his third penalty to open the second half, but then Halifax scored three tries in eight minutes to pull away.

Ollie Marns, Dunemann and Pearson all scored in quick succession to make it  26-10.

But Carney then completed his hat-trick for Hull FC with two more tries, and Wayne Macdonald also scored to level the match. Hull thought they had won it when Craig Wilson scored a drop-goal.

In one last twist, Greg Florimo managed to score with time almost up.

Catalans Dragons 38-30 Wigan Warriors (2006)

Catalans Dragons marked their Super League debut with the scalp of Wigan Warriors in the South of France.

The Dragons opened the scoring through Mark Hughes, but then Wigan took the lead thanks to tries from Brett Dallas and Iafeta Palea’aesina.

Tries from Laurent Frayssinous and Jamal Fakir put the French side back in front. Fakir was then sin-binned before Dennis Moran and Jerry Seuseu put the Warriors back in front.

Further efforts from Renaud Guige and Justin Murphy put the Dragons ahead once more, before Pat Richards looked to have sealed the win for Wigan.

But Catalans had one more shock in it for them, as Ian Hindmarsh scored and Murphy added his second to turn the game on its head, and grab a headline-making win.

Hull FC 36-34 Catalans Dragons (2014)

Hull FC started the 2014 season by winning a 15-try thriller against Catalans Dragons at the KCOM Stadium.

The Dragons took the lead thanks to tries in the first quarter from Damian Cardace and Elliot Whitehead. Richard Whiting responded for Hull, before Cardace grabbed a second.

Hull then stormed in front, thanks to two tries from Kirk Yeoman either side of half time, and other efforts from Jordan Rankin, Tom Lineham, Jordan Thompson and Graeme Horne.

Catalans proved they were not done, as Zeb Taia got one back, but Ben Crooks seemed to put the game beyond doubt with less than ten minutes to go.

However, Catalans came roaring back, as Cardace completed his hat-trick, Morgan Escare got on the scoresheet, and Taia added a second. Thomas Bosc missed the final conversion, meaning the Dragons were beaten.

Hull KR 30-40 Leeds Rhinos (2015)

Leeds Rhinos started their treble campaign with a far from straight forward win over Hull KR at Craven Park.

In a frantic opening quarter, Tom Briscoe gave Leeds the lead in the opening minute, before Rovers responded through two tries by Albert Kelly and another from Mitch Allgood.

The Rhinos then got back into it with tries from Kevin Sinfield and Danny McGuire, but Rovers led at half time, as Terry Campese added another.

Rovers got the first try of the second half through Kris Welham, but then it was all Leeds as McGuire added a second, before Kallum Watkins, Zak Hardaker and Brad Singleton completed the comeback.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments