Top Five Challenge Cup Quarter Finals of the last decade

In the weekend when we should have played the Challenge Cup quarter-finals, we look back at five of the best from the last 10 years.

Castleford Tigers 22-18 Huddersfield Giants (2011)

Castleford avenged their defeat in the quarter finals two years ago with a win over Huddersfield at The Jungle.

Tries from Kirk Dixon, Jordan Thompson, Danny Orr and Ryan Hudson claimed victory. Three conversions from Dixon also proved crucial in the final outcome.

Huddersfield hit back with tries from Scott Grix, Jermaine McGillvary, Leroy Cudjoe and Mike Lawrence. However, Brough only landed one conversion from four attempted, meaning Huddersfield lost the game.

The Tigers went on to face an agonising defeat by Leeds. They were beaten 10-8 after extra time.

Hull KR 32-26 Catalans Dragons (2015)

Ken Sio was the match winner as Hull KR made it to the Challenge Cup semi-finals for the first time since 2006. Credit: David Greaves/News Images

Rovers survived a second half comeback to beat Catalans Dragons at the KC Lightstream Stadium.

Tries from Ken Sio, Kieran Dixon, Albert Kelly and Graeme Horne had the Rovers 24-0 up. Krisnan Inu responded for Catalans but Josh Mantellato added a penalty to make it 26-4 at the break.

Then second half tries from Zeb Taia, Ian Henderson, Elliott Whitehead and a second from Inu pulled the Dragons back level in the second half.

But Inu’s second try sealed victory for the Robins, who went on to the Challenge Cup Final. However, they were beaten 50-0 by Leeds Rhinos.

Bradford Bulls 16-20 Halifax (2019)

Halifax became the first non-Super League side to reach the Challenge Cup semi-finals for a number of years. Credit: Craig Milner/News Images

Halifax came out on top in the clash between two sides who wouldn’t have expected to make it to the quarter finals.

Bradford started the better of the two sides, Rowan Milne scored the only try of the first half.

An eight-point try then put Halifax in front, before Jake Webster hit back for Bradford. Scott Grix then gave the onus back to the visitors.

Matty Wilde then scored to put Bradford 16-14 up, but James Woodburn-Hall scored what proved to be the winner for Halifax.

They made it to the semi-finals where they were beaten by St Helens in Bolton.

St Helens 25-22 Hull FC (2018)

St Helens won a titanic tussle to reach their first Challenge Cup semi-final since 2011. Credit: News Images

Saints ended Hull FC’s hold of the Challenge Cup with a thrilling 25-22 victory at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

It was a thrilling opening to the match. Saints twice went in front through Mark Percival and Regan Grace, before Hull hit back through Chris Green and Albert Kelly.

A turning point came when Danny Houghton and Danny Washbrook were both sin binned, and Saints added to their advantage through Percival and Grace.

Danny Richardson added a drop-goal to make it 23-12.

Scott Taylor and Hakim Miloudi responded for Hull in the second half, but a Danny Richardson penalty ensured Saints held on for victory.

Hull also had a third yellow card, as Masi Matongo was also sin binned in the second half.

That win meant Saints went through to the semi-finals, although they were beaten by Catalans Dragons.

Warrington Wolves 26-27 Wigan Warriors (2017)

Warrington Wolves and Wigan Warriors played out a thrilling encounter back in 2017. Credit: News Images

Wigan made it to their first Challenge Cup semi-final since 2013, after a close win over Warrington at the Haliwell Jones.

Two tries from Joe Burgess and another from Liam Marshall around a Ryan Atkins double for Warrington, had Wigan 18-12 ahead at the break.

John Bateman scored Wigan’s only second half try, as Kurt Gidley and Andre Savelio hit back for Warrington. Sam Tomkins then kicked a drop goal, before some last minute drama.

Stefan Ratchford missed a penalty from halfway for Warrington, before Dec Patton put a drop goal wide from the resulting drop out to condemn Warrington to defeat.

Wigan would hold on, and they reached the Challenge Cup Final. Although, they were beaten by Hull FC.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments