Toothless Tigers fall to heavy defeat at the hands of Salford Red Devils

One of the form teams in Super League headed to Wheldon Road tonight with Salford Red Devils visiting to face Andy Last’s Castleford Tigers.

The Tigers were coming off just their third win of the season, and their second over Leeds Rhinos, having reportedly held “somewhat of a crisis meeting” and drawing a line in the first half of the season.

That seemed to work with their success at Magic Weekend however a win against Salford would appear far harder on paper than one against Leeds.

That was because the Red Devils entered this game with seven wins from eight in all competitions leading them to fifth in Super League and the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup.

The hosts were still without full-backs Niall Evalds or Greg Eden meaning last week’s game winner, Gareth Widdop, occupied the role with youth on the wings once again in the shape of Jason Qareqare.

Another youngster, Aaron Willis, was named on the bench with a chance at debuting whilst Jack Broadbent once again slotted into the halves.

As for the Red Devils they were without Joe Burgess but otherwise named a very strong starting 13 that featured Kallum Watkins, the skipper set for his 350th appearance.

The first ten minutes saw both sides feel each other out with errors on either side but it was the visitors who took advantage first when Rhys Williams collected Marc Sneyd’s kick to score the first points of the night.

It was an almost immediate response from the Tigers with young winger Jason Qareqare scoring an impressive intercept try, but Widdop couldn’t convert leaving it 6-4 to Salford.

The Red Devils added another when Widdop failed to collect a kick and Chris Atkin was played in for his second in as many weeks.

12-4 quickly became 18-4 which in turn became 24-4, with Deon Cross finding space on the right to add the third try and then Ken Sio scoring the fourth.

Marc Sneyd remained perfect as the Red Devils took the game away from the Tigers in a rampant five minute spell.

Will Tate came close to a breakaway try of his own after collecting a Sneyd kick but the brilliant Brierley prevented that, although the home side did get one back before the break.

It came through Kenny Edwards who caught on to a Cain Robb kick on the last play of the half to head in 24-10 down.

Any chance of a comeback was dented almost immediately in the second-half with Tim Lafai playing one of his trademark offloads to allow Rhys Williams to score his second of the night and stretch the lead to 28-10.

The floodgates then opened with Ken Sio scoring an intercept try just after the 50 minute mark and not three minutes later Williams returned the favour to Lafai from earlier making it 38-10.

Sam Stone added another as Salford lived up to their dubbing as ‘The Great Entertainers’ scoring late on to make the final score 42-10.

That left Salford with eight wins from nine and in top form before travelling to Craven Park in the Challenge Cup next week.