Super League star’s shock exit all but confirmed

Ash Handley at Leeds Rhinos, Liam Marshall at Wigan Warriors, Matty Ashton at Warrington Wolves, Josh Charnley at Leigh Leopards, Ryan Hall at Hull KR and many more; Super League is populated with top notch wingers.

But one of the best over the last decade, especially since he won the top try scorer award in 2015, has been England international Jermaine McGillvary.

There has been a lot of speculation about his future and it has been suggested that his career could end come the end of 2023.

Speaking to BBC Radio Leeds, he suggested his time at Huddersfield was at least over saying: “I think I’m done here.”

That would make Friday’s game one of his last.

On a hot evening at the John Smith’s Stadium it was the home side who went ahead with Will Pryce breaking off the back of a set play scrum and darting through for a 40 yard score.

Whilst Connor couldn’t convert that he did knock a penalty over minutes later after the Robins had been pinged for dissent.

It was the Robins who scored next though with the skipper Shaun Kenny-Dowall continuing his rich vein of form and dancing past defenders to level the scores at 6-6.

Rovers kept that pressure on with Brad Schneider nailing a 40/20 to grant his side territory with Huddersfield conceding a penalty from the resulting set, allowing Schneider to then take the two and put KR in front just before the 30 minute mark.

The biggest cheer of the night till that point came next when Jordan Abdull made his long awaited return, replacing Jimmy Keinhorst from the bench.

An even bigger cheer followed shortly after though with Rovers playmaker throwing a dummy before dancing through to help extend the lead to 14-6, seven minutes from half time.

Just before the hooter the tensions flared and that saw both Jake Connor and Louis Senior sent to the sin bin, meaning both sides would start the second half with 12 men a piece.

Both men returned to the field before the second half saw any major action and that came when Kane Linnett crashed over after 53 minutes to put the game seemingly out of Huddersfield’s reach.

Jermaine McGillvary did hit back to register his 250th Huddersfield Giants try and make the score 20-12, but any momentum was killed when Huddersfield once again went down to 12 with Jack Ashworth sent for ten for hitting Abdull late.

The game looked to be put beyond all doubt when Louis Senior scored in the corner with just under ten minutes to go, stretching the game to 24-12 but Huddersfield hit back almost immediately.

Sam Halsall hit back leaving the Giants just six points down with five minutes to play, setting up a tense finish.

Brad Schneider then settled the nerves for Rovers when he elected to take the two following Huddersfield breaking offside, and that penalty pushed the scoreline to 26-18 and beyond one converted try.

That tight win ensured the Robins’ playoff push remains strong ahead of their clash with Salford next week, Willie Peters side winning for a third straight game and moving to fifth in Super League.