Super League star admits he wanted to avoid this team in the Challenge Cup

Wigan Warriors are headed to the Challenge Cup semi-finals.

They edged Warrington Wolves despite losing Kaide Ellis to a red card in the first 10 minutes for a head butt on Stefan Ratchford.

They clung on with a try disallowed for the Wolves late on which denied them.

Ironically, Warrington centre on loan at Wigan Toby King was brilliant and scored the opener and helped create the winner.

King now will take on his brother in the semi-finals as George King led Hull KR to the last four.

Thus, Toby admitted he was disappointed as he wanted to meet him in the final.

He said on BBC: “I wanted to avoid them. They had a great win yesterday but I didn’t want to get them until the final.”

Kaide Ellis red card

The Wigan forward was sent for a very early bath after he headbutted Stefan Ratchford.

Wigan draw first blood

Wigan capitalise on Danny Walker error deep in Warrington’s half to create a chance. Harry Smith sent up a cross-field kick which Abbas Miski batted back, and Warrington loanee Toby King reacted quickest to dot the ball down against his parent club and give 12-man Wigan the first points of the afternoon.

Warrington come close soon after 

Not long after Wigan’s first try, Warrington work it down close to Wigan’s line, but Currie couldn’t keep a hold of Williams pass and Wigan survive.

Smith goal

Harry Smith gave Wigan a bit of breathing room as he slotted a penalty goal to make it an eight point lead.

Thewlis saves a certain try

A delicious kick from Harry Smith bounced perfectly for Jai Field who worked the ball to Liam Farrell and then onto Liam Marshall. The Wigan winger looked set to put his name on the scoresheet, however Josh Thewlis thought otherwise and saved a certain try with a fantastic tackle to force Marshall into touch.

Thewlis to the rescue again

Josh Thewlis, not content with just one try saver, stopped Liam Farrell going over the line and earn the ball back for Warrington.

Warrington go close again

A break down Warrington’s right edge found the ball in Connor Wrench’s hand, however they couldn’t capitalise and again Wigan escaped scot free.

Wigan hold out 

Right on the stroke of half time Warrington broke through the Wigan line, but again the visitors couldn’t make field position count as George Williams’ kick was collected by Toby King.

Wigan out of the blocks quickest in the second-half 

The Cherry and Whites nearly started the second-half in perfect fashion. Miski couldn’t hold onto Smith’s kick, and Morgan Smithies came within inches of putting the ball down; however Warrington held firm and prevented Wigan growing their lead.

Wire back in the game 

Warrington finally convert pressure into points. The powerful forward Joe Bullock crashed over from short range after Darryl Clark was held up over the line.

Wigan hit back instantly 

A lovely flowing move through the Wigan backs found Miski in space, who dived over in acrobatic fashion to nullify Bullock’s try.

Matt Dufty try ruled out 

Matt Dufty thought he had put his name on the scoresheet but it was judged to be a double movement and it was chalked off.

Thewlis makes it a nervy ending

After his defensive heroics in the first half, Thewlis again acted when it mattered as he crossed the whitewash, and Ratchford’s kick brought it back within two points.

Forward pass at the death

Thewlis looked to have secured the crucial blow for Warrington, however Mata’utia’s pass was judged to be forward and Wigan survive the late scare to hold onto a famous win.