Super League side likely set for punishment after semi-final behaviour

Leeds Rhinos, Wigan Warriors, Warrington Wolves, Bradford Bulls and St Helens have all made it to multiple Grand Finals and now Catalans Dragons has joined the fun.

They are set to be given a chance to right the wrongs of 2021 when they came up short against St Helens.

Booking their place at Old Trafford was a huge moment for the club and resulted in a pitch invasion.

Based on fines for Hull KR and Leigh Leopards likely, Catalans will likely be punished.

The club made a statement on the situation.

They said:

“The Super League semi-final against St Helens was marked by a pitch invasion by supporters following the final whistle.

“Even if this was with scenes of joy and a moment shared between supporters and players, and there was no unsavoury or aggressive conduct, the club nevertheless wholeheartedly condemns this incident.

“The club reminds the supporters that any intrusion onto the stadium pitch is strictly prohibited and that sanctions are in place for this type of incident.”

It came after a magic semi-final. Neither side truly threatened in the early stages with a Matt Whitley knock-on on halfway ending the most exciting attack.

Micky McIlorum made a mistake to provide Saints with territory and were it not for a brilliant defensive read by centre Ikuvalu then Bennison would have been in, the closest chance in a nervy opening 15 minutes.

The home side looked to have scored first in the corner when Tom Johnstone capitalised on a Jonny Lomax error, however Chris Kendall’s no try call wasn’t overturned by Jack Smith – seemingly for a shove from Johnstone on Lomax, albeit a harsh one.

The nerves were on show as Tom Johnstone knocked on from a simple pick up of the ball within his 20 metres however Saints couldn’t capitalise with Alex Walmsley dropping a carry on the resulting set.

Catalans took the lead just ahead of the half hour mark following a Sione Mata’utia high shot on Sam Tomkins. The Dragons opted for two with Keighran kicking over from 30 yards out to make it 2-0, the score remaining the same till the half time whistle.

Jack Welsby was at his very best once again, dragging the defenders wide to the left hand flank before playing a clever pass to allow centre Will Hopoate to dance through on the 50 minute mark to make it 6-2 to the reigning champions.

When a Moses Mbye high tackle offered the home side a penalty in front of the sticks from 30 metres then Adam Keighran opted to take the two, bringing the game back to 6-4, with the Dragons receiving the ball once again from the restart.

A Mitchell Pearce kick was knocked on by Jack Welsby and Matty Lees was then penalised for lying on at the play the ball, seeing yellow for the professional foul. That saw Saints drop to 12 with Lees in the sin bin and Adam Keighran score his third penalty of the game, making the game six points a piece with less than ten minutes to go.

After a flurry of penalties and a blocked drop goal from Tomkins it was finally the moment of magic that the game had been waiting for. Saints raced off the line to block the kick and Tomkins wound back the clock to dodge the chase and dart through under the sticks after a brilliant step. A supreme try!