Super League Round Four: Roundup

With the champions out of action this week because of the World Club Challenge, it was a chance for other sides to stake their claim for this season.


Castleford take early bragging rights

Derrell Olpherts continued his fine try-scoring form. Credit: News Images

Castleford Tigers got themselves back to winning ways after a 32-15 win over Wakefield Trinity at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

The visitors had started well, they took the lead through a Joe Westerman try, which was followed by a Ryan Hampshire penalty to make it an early eight point lead.

However, Cas pulled it back thanks to tries from Cheyse Blair and Derrell Olpherts, one of which was converted by Danny Richardson to give the hosts the lead.

But a miracle finish from Tom Johnstone had Wakefield in front, but not for long as James Clare managed to grab a try just six minutes later.

The visitors would go into half time in front as Hampshire scored another penalty, and Jacob Miller added a drop goal, to make it 15-14.

The second half belonged to Castleford. Clare and Olpherts managed to grab their second tries and Oliver Holmes also scored to flip the game on its head. Richardson scored a late penalty to add a bit more to the scoreline.

Giants continue perfect start

Huddersfield Giants are the only unbeaten side so far in 2020. Credit: News Images

Huddersfield Giants continued their perfect start to the season with a 22-4 win over Hull KR at Craven Park.

Tries either side of half time from Louis Senior, Lee Gaskell, Paul Clough and Suaia Matagi earned the impressive victory for Huddersfield.

Rovers responded with a try from Ben Crooks, but remain without a victory since Round One.

Warrington survive Toronto scare

Warrington Wolves survived a second-half rally from Toronto Wolfpack to win 32-22 at the Haliwell Jones Stadium.

They started the match well, with tries from Josh Charnley, Gareth Widdop and Tom Lineham had the hosts 16-0 up midway through the first half.

Former St Helens forward Jon Wilkin then pulled one back for Toronto, before Matty Ashton struck to put Wire back into a comfortable position.

However, tries from Andy Ackers, Matty Russell and Gareth O’Brien got the Wolfpack level, and all of a sudden, they were looking on top.

But indiscipline cost them as two penalties from Stefan Ratchford edged Warrington back ahead, before Ben Murdoch-Masila made sure right at the end to ensure the two points for the Wolves.


Leeds see off Salford after strong second half

Leeds Rhinos celebrating a try for Luke Gale. Credit: News Images

After the events of recent weeks, players, officials and fans alike were under the impression they’d avoided any adverse weather when they turned up to the AJ Bell Stadium on a mild Saturday afternoon. But this, of course, is the North of England.

From the moment Krisnan Inu’s swirling high kick off was spilt by Luke Gale, the wind intensified and the rain came in sporadic periods – it was evident the winner of this one was likely to be the team who played the conditions better.

After a mistake-ridden opening quarter, the Red Devils who started to gain some momentum and posted two tries down the right-hand side courtesy of explosive runs from Niall Evalds and Tui Lolohea. Conversion attempts from both Lolohea and Chris Atkin, however, fell afoul of the wind.

The Rhinos managed to pull their deficit to within two points just before the break, after Brad Dwyer’s surging run from dummy half allowed Luke Gale to stroll over under the posts.

The second half was all Leeds, as the visitors picked up where they left off after the interval and soon found themselves with a 16-8 lead. Luke Briscoe somersaulted over in the corner before Mikolaj Oledzki crashed over between the sticks.

A Gale penalty extended their lead further before a neat break down the left resulted in Jack Walker touching down to seal the two points.

It was far from pretty but winning games in those conditions can prove to be vital come the business end of the season. Combinations seem to be coming together for the Rhinos, while the only real negative for Salford were a few lapses in concentration.


Wigan record back-to-back wins

Dom Manfredi marked his return to the team with a try. Credit: News Images

Wigan Warriors have made it two wins on the bounce, as they beat Hull FC 26-12 at the DW Stadium on Sunday.

A try from Bevan French and a penalty from Zak Hardaker got Wigan off to the perfect start, but Hull responded with a try from Adam Swift and a penalty from Marc Sneyd.

Hardaker then scored another penalty to edge Wigan ahead at half time.

From there, it was all Wigan as tries from Dom Manfredi, Jackson Hastings and Willie Isa made sure of victory for the hosts.

Hull would pull one back towards the end through Josh Griffin, but its back to back defeats for them.

Notify of