Star player cleared to play despite alleged hammer attack

NRL player Talatau Amone was recently charged over an alleged incident which occurred in 2022 and reportedly also involved his father.

Following this, he was been stood down by the NRL.

The NRL said:

“The National Rugby League (NRL) is aware that New South Wales Police have charged Talatau Junior Amone with reckless grievous bodily harm in company, destroy or damage property and stalking or intimidation with intent to cause fear of physical or mental harm, following an alleged incident in 2022.

“The NRL has advised the St George Illawarra Dragons that Talatau Junior Amone is subject to the Mandatory No-Fault Stand Down Condition under the NRL Rules.

“Under the condition, the player is not permitted to participate as a player in the NRL competition or any related, representative or other competition or pre-season trial match.”

This came after this statement from St George Illawarra Dragons when it was first reported:

“Dragons player Talatau Amone has been charged in relation to an alleged incident earlier this year.

“The club has notified the NRL integrity unit.

“As this is a legal matter the club will be making no further comment.”

According to the Sydney Morning Herald he was hit with a number of charges pertaining to an alleged hammer attack near his home.

He was subsequently been denied bail.

However, he is no longer subject to the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy.

The NRL released a statement on Tuesday confirming the news surrounding the 20-year-old half.

“The National Rugby League (NRL) has today confirmed that the No-Fault Stand Down Condition will no longer apply to St George Illawarra Dragons player Talatau Junior Amone, effective immediately,” the statement read.

“Mr Amone is now eligible to be selected to participate as a player in the NRL competition.”

Amone was charged in November last year over an alleged hammer attack on a roofing contractor in Wollongong and was later charged with reckless grievous bodily harm, destroying property and intimidation.

Initially Amone was facing up to 14 years in jail if the grievous bodily harm charge was dealt with in the district court.

Now that the case is being prosecuted in a local court, Amone is instead looking at a maximum sentence of five years if he is convicted of all charges.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments