St Helens laid down a marker over the weekend as they comfortably beat St George Illawarra Dragons in Australia in preparation for the World Club Challenge against Penrith Panthers next week.
This fixture did have significance itself in the Pre-Season Challenge which carries a $100,000 reward as all 17 NRL teams, including new side The Dolphins, and the Saints play two games, which includes the World Club Challenge, with the league determined by bonus points with a bonus point for five tries in a game for example.
The side with the most points at the end of the two weeks will win the cash prize.
Here is a list of the rules behind the tournament:
– 80-minute games
– No extra time or golden point. A draw will be declared it scores are equal
– Squad sizes: As many as 28 players for week-one matches and 26 for week-two matches
– Unlimited interchange
*World Club Challenge will have 17-man squads with an 18th player for concussion protocols, and 10 interchanges
– One referee
– Bunker in use
– 12 for a win
– Six for a draw
– None for a loss
A bonus point available for each of the following:
– Scoring five or more tries
– Making five or more linebreaks
– Making 10 or more offloads
Teams can earn a maximum 15 points for a win, nine for a draw and three for a loss.
The overall winner will be determined by the most competition points.
– For and against (points differential), then if still equal;
– The greater percentage of points scored in for and against, then if still equal;
– Most tries scored, then if still equal;
– Most goals kicked, then if still equal;
– Most drop goals kicked, then if still equal;
– Least amount of penalties conceded across both games ,then if still equal;
– The toss of a coin
After their win over St George the Saints have a decent tally of points having scored five tries against the Dragons.
Sydney Roosters and Manly Sea Eagles have claimed the maximum amount of points whilst the Saints are just one point behind with 14.
They sit sixth ahead of Penrith in the table as seen below:
|2||Manly Sea Eagles||15|
|3||New Zealand Warriors||14|
|8||Gold Coast Titans||7|
|16||St George Illawarra||0|