Connect with us

Super League

Richard Silverwood calls for video ref change after questioning crucial call in Super League clash

Once again Huddersfield Giants showed that they can compete with the very best in Super League but like last week they came up short by the exact same scoreline.

Things didn’t start great for St Helens. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook was named on the bench ready to make his 350th St Helens appearance and he only had to wait 25 seconds after Sione Mata’utia stayed down after an early tackle before going off with for a Head Injury Assessment.

After that, St Helens very nearly scored the opener when they had a real good look at the Giants line following a penalty for a strip on Konrad Hurrell. They came close but some brilliant defence denied them. Then on the next set a miss timed pass was picked up by Sam Halsall who linked nicely with Will Pryce to get the Giants down field. Then a chance was made for Innes Senior but he was unable to kick ahead and dropped the ball.

Will Pryce was having a brilliant start to the game and some more magic footwork saw him carve through the Saints defence helping the Giants get a repeat set but this time the Saints stood firm.

Huddersfield were the better side for the first 25 minutes. They were more than matching the Saints down the middle and playing the game at a better pace than them. But that pace did seem to slow when they were attacking the Saints line and at times they squandered breaks. Then the Saints rolled down field and showed the class of Champions. After a lovely run by Jonny Lomax, Jack Welsby’s short ball sent Konrad Hurrell over.

It was all of a sudden unravelling for the Giants. They kicked the kick off out on the full and then the Saints went to the same side and this time Tommy Makinson squeezed in at the corner.

After their first half display had come to pieces a touch, Ash Golding came up with a sneaky try scouting over on the last. Golding has spent some time play at nine and this time on the wing he burrowed over.

The Giants had three sets of six on the Saints line at the start of the second half and did look dangerous but eventually squandered the possession when Seb Ikahihifo went on a brilliant run and offloaded it but there was no one waiting. Interestingly after that Jake Connor was introduced. However, he had his work cut out for him when a Saints penalty took the score out to 14-6.

A lovely scrum move involving man of the hour Jake Connor feeding Will Pryce out the back who found Innes Senior saw the winger cross in the corner despite a desperate tackle from Jack Welsby. The video referee checked in touch and the grounding and the try was given. This came after plenty of repeat sets on the Saints line.

It was this try that had Richard Silverwood questioning the video referee system in use.

He felt that Senior had dropped the ball as he attempted to ground it and that the decision was clouded by the on field call:

“I think he lost that. Fingers off the ball and grounded with the wrist. On field decision clouds that.”

When asked if the system should change, he said:

The Saints ultimately showed the steal of Champions to just about hold on and its two defeats in a row for the Giants by the same scoreline against last year’s top two.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Super League