RFL considering action after Super League fan runs onto pitch to scream at official

Hull KR are in a battle with Leeds Rhinos, Warrington Wolves and Salford Red Devils for a play off spot.

This is why their clash against Catalans Dragons, the league leaders at the time, was so crucial.

But for one fan, the pressure got too much for him and he invaded the pitch and shouted directly at an official.

In light of the incident with Marcus Griffiths, this is disappointing. The RFL could yet take some form of action but with a number of cases in the system it could be a while till we see any developments.

French publication L’Independent has highlighted the incident and suggested it could have impacted the rest of the officiating.

They reported: “But the image of an English fan on the edge of the field, raising his voice in front of one of the referees, is challenging.

“Did his invective affect the rest of the meeting? The question arises in any case, in the same way as the physical integrity of the arbitrator who may have been threatened.”

The below image captures the bizarre and unwarranted moment:

Hull KR v Catalans Dragons Picture by Allan McKenzie/SWpix.com – 01/09/2023 – Rugby League – Betfred Super League Round 24 – Hull KR v Catalans Dragons – Sewell Group Craven Park, Hull, England – A Hull KR fan remonstrates with an RFL official. Hull Sewell Group Craven Park England Copyright: x xSWpix.comxt/axPhotographyxHubxLtdxAllanxMcKenzie/SWpix.comx SWP-2276-0017

This comes after Steve McNamara complained about a try.

“It’s a try, a dead-set try,” McNamara said on YouTube.

“He decides without consulting anybody else. 20-metre restart, we go from a try scored, I can’t remember what the score was at that stage, to a man in the sin bin on practically the same play. It was a big decision, a big call, and it was taken really, really quickly.”

The Robins had a chance to go in front early when they got a penalty inside the Dragons’ 20 but it came to no avail and just minutes later Catalans forced an error of their own, creating a six again and territory for Romain Navarrete to crash over and open the scoring after five minutes.

Rovers got another strong set in territory following a Yaha knock on and this time they did capitalise with the ball being shifted left allowing captain Shaun Kenny-Dowall to dance through and score.

Just after the twenty minute mark Catalans opted for two to open up a lead and then five minutes later they extended once again through captain Ben Garcia who forced his way over from short range to make the score 14-6.

The Robins did hit back before half time though through Kane Linnett which saw the teams go into half time with just two points separating them at 14-12.

It didn’t take long for a second half score though and it came for the home side with Jack Walker scoring just two minutes into the second half, a brilliant try that was converted via the help of the crossbar from Brad Schneider to make the game 18-14 to the home side.

Schneider then had more kicking duties five minutes later following a Catalans penalty and he nailed it to extend the lead to one converted try.

That six point lead was cut to just two when Fouad Yaha scored in the corner minutes later, but thankfully for the home side the conversion was missed by Adam Keighran to leave the score at 20-18 with half an hour to go.

The Robins then got quite lucky as Julian Bousquet was judged to have knocked on when reaching for the line, with former Hull FC man Manu Ma’u sin binned for a high shot on Tom Opacic.

With a man advantage it was a major chance for the Robins to take advantage and they did so through talisman Mikey Lewis who was the beneficiary of a big carry from Rhys Kennedy.

Schneider added the extras to make the lead 26-18 with Rovers still a man up for seven of the remaining seventeen minutes.

Despite the man advantage it was the Robins who were under the pump and they defended back to back goal line drop outs during the period in which they had a man advantage, but the return of Manu Ma’u from his sin bin set up a tense final ten at Craven Park.

It was a final ten minutes that Rovers saw out despite the nerves with the win sending them back into the playoffs and up to fifth, ahead of Salford and Warrington with the latter having a game in hand.

It was a second straight loss for Catalans and one that saw them sacrifice top spot with Wigan Warriors winning against Salford and heading top.

The 26-18 win for Rovers was coupled with a 26-8 win for Wigan over Salford, both teams doing each other a favour.