Connect with us

More RL

Pre-Season Roundup: w/c 20th January

In the final week of pre-season action before the season starts again, we look at the final set of pre-season fixtures.


Wakefield Trinity 4-16 Huddersfield Giants (Jack Conlon)

Rugby league on a Wednesday? Who’d have thought it? Well that was the case for Wakefield and Huddersfield, who met on a chilly evening at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

It was the Giants’ second pre-season fixture compared to Trinity’s third, but Simon Woolford’s side certainly looked the better drilled.

New recruit Aidan Sezer controlled the tempo and created plenty of space for Lee Gaskell and Ashton Golding, who both looked full of confidence playing off the back of the Turkish international.

That new combination resulted in three first half tries courtesy of Jermaine McGillvary and the Wardle brothers, Joe and Jake, and a 16-0 lead at halftime.

The home side managed to contain the visitors for the second half and managed to get over for a consolation try with 30 second left through Joe Arundel.

The second period though, much like the first, belonged to the Giants. They defended set upon set on their own line, constantly thwarting almost any Wakefield attempt to cross the whitewash.

Huddersfield will certainly be the happier of the two teams and look Super League-ready. A hamstring injury to Ashton Golding is the only concern.

Wakefield still have some work to do, but will likely be much improved once they welcome back the likes of David Fifita, Jacob Miller and Tinirau Arona from injury.


Leigh Centurions 12-6 Wigan Warriors

Warrington Wolves 26-10 Salford Red Devils (Steven Hughes)

Warrington marked Mike Cooper’s testimonial with a 26-10 win over Salford at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Although Wire did not have it all their own way. Salford took the lead after seven minutes as Dan Sarginson managed to go through and score. Tui Lolohea missed the conversion, but the Red Devils still had a four-point lead.

That lead lasted for just five minutes however, as Toby King rose highest to ground a kick. Ratchford scored the conversion to give Warrington the lead.

But Salford were soon back in front thanks to Sarginson, who finished off a break from Niall Evalds. Lolohea was on target this time to bring the Red Devils into double figures.

Warrington had the final say of the half, as Ratchford took the two points from a penalty right before the break, to bring Wire back to within two.

The second half then belonged to Warrington as second half tries from Anthony Gelling, Luther Burrell and Tom Lineham sealed the match.


Doncaster 36-22 Wakefield Trinity Reserves

Featherstone Rovers 34-22 Leeds Rhinos


Hull KR Academy 22-48 Hull FC Academy

London Skolars 4-40 London Broncos

Swinton Lions 16-12 Warrington Wolves

Whitehaven 36-0 North Wales Crusaders


Barrow Raiders 28-0 Workington Town

Batley Bulldogs 22-26 Huddersfield Giants

Bradford Bulls 6-4 York City Knights

Keighley Cougars 18-18 Sheffield Eagles

Newcastle Thunder 52-4 Leeds Rhinos

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in More RL