Connect with us

Rugby League News

Oldham’s Callum Cameron banned for EIGHT MATCHES following controversial incident

Oldham’s Callum Cameron has been banned for EIGHT matches and fined £75 after pleading guilty to a head butt, punching and other behaviour described as “contrary”.

Meanwhile, Oldham loose-forward Emmerson Whittel pleaded guilty to a late tackle after the ball had already gone and has been banned for FOUR games and fined £75.

Rochdale forward Fui Fui Moi Moi has also seen his two-match ban for punching, grade C, reduced to a caution.

In accordance with club policy, Oldham RLFC will make no comment on disciplinary decisions.

The RFL, however, has given full details on its website, giving reasons for the verdicts and summarising the submissions made by Roughyeds’ chairman Chris Hamilton on behalf of Whittel and Cameron and by Steve Kear (chief executive) and Gary Thornton (head coach), representing Moi Moi.

Whittel’s case was heard in his absence because of work commitments, but Cameron was in attendance, flanked by his club chairman, who said the young second-rower was provoked during the game and was protecting himself during a melee after he was grabbed from behind.

He had also been squirted with a water bottle as he passed the Hornets dug-out (after he had been sin-binned for an earlier offence.)

Mr Hamilton also revealed, according to the RFL website, that Cameron had been fined by the club and warned about his future actions. He had let down himself, his club and his family, but he had been working hard on his discipline.

The report also said the tribunal had taken into account that he reacted to provocation. They were impressed by the player’s remorse. but they agreed he lost control and landed two blows to opponents’ heads.

They had also considered Cameron’s previous disciplinary record which showed he had been banned for a total of six games in three separate cases in 2018, long before he was an Oldham player.

In Whittel’s case, the panel concluded that he made unnecessary contact with a Hornets player after the ball had gone, causing flexions to the head and neck.

The Oldham club said contact was shoulder-to-shoulder and there was no head contact. Whittel had been previously abused verbally and he had also been the victim of a ’tip tackle’.

The Rochdale player wasn’t injured and was able to carry on.
The tribunal accepted that the Oldham player was frustrated following earlier exchanges, but felt he made a premeditated late tackle.

To his credit, it was said, Whittel had a good previous disciplinary record.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News