Mitchell Pearce has formally requested to be released from the last year of his Newcastle Knights contract.
Pearce also met with head coach Adam O’Brien on Tuesday night and it is understood all parties have agreed to work towards a resolution.
O’Brien had earlier suggested that Pearce had not contacted representatives of the Newcastle club, despite speculation mounting that the 32-year-old was set to leave.
“All I can say is I nor anyone at the club have heard from Mitchell or his management,” O’Brien said.
“He is currently scheduled to start training on the 24th of November and until I’m told otherwise, I have started planning for 2022 with Mitch as our halfback.”
Asked if he was disappointed that Pearce had not contacted him personally to tell him of his plans, O’Brien said: “Well, I haven’t got anything to be disappointed about yet.
“I will cross that bridge when I come to it but I only live two streets away from him and I haven’t heard anything.”
The Catalans offer for Pearce is a three-year $1.5 million deal which will take him through until the age of 35.
Newcastle Knights have since released this statement:
The nib Newcastle Knights can confirm an official request has been received from Mitchell Pearce regarding an immediate release from the final year of his contract.
Club officials met with Pearce last night and again today, where the request was outlined and officially lodged.
The Knights have agreed to consider the request, with both parties respectfully agreeing to make no further comment until an outcome is determined.
Discussions between Pearce and the Club remain productive, with both parties focussed on achieving a positive outcome while maintaining the great relationship that currently exists.
No specific timeline has been determined on an outcome for the request, with all involved continuing to follow the due process required.