Magpies too good for the Sea Eagles in season opener

Yesterday the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles travelled to Leichhardt Oval for their opening round Canterbury Cup NSW clash against the Western Suburbs Magpies.

The Sea Eagles started well by opening their scoring account in the 4th minute to a fantastic try to their five-eight Luke Metcalf.

Unfortunately that’s where the points dried up for the Sea Eagles as errors crept into their game and in the 12th minute the Magpies scored through Tyson Gamble and he converted his own try to give the Magpies a 2 point lead.

The remainder of the first half was a war of attrition, the Magpies had a lot of possession and had the Sea Eagles under a lot of pressure but the Sea Eagles defence remained too strong as the score at half time was 6 – 4 in the Magpies favour.

The second half didn’t start too well for the Sea Eagles as the Magpies scored in the 42nd minute thanks to Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu to take the score out to 10 – 4.

The Sea Eagles couldn’t respond to the Magpies at all, as they kept on making mistakes in good field position which gave the Magpies another try in the 50th minute and a double to Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu.

The Sea Eagles had no positive response to the Magpies and were out enthused in the second half as the Magpies ran in another try to Kane McQuiggin and a field goal on full time to Tyson Gamble to win the game 23 – 4.

After the game Sea Eagles half back Cade Cust said ” We started well but then went away from the game plan and made too many errors which cost us the game” and Cust went on to say that he was impressed with the two front rowers in Andy Saunders and Kurt DeLuis.

Western Suburbs Magpies 23 ( Tries – Tyson Gamble 12′, Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu 42′, Kauri Aupouri 50′ and Kane McQuiggin 64′) ( Conversions – Tyson Gamble 3 from 4) ( Field Goal – Tyson Gamble 79′) Def Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 4 ( Tries – Luke Metcalf)

In other news the Ron Massey Cup team travelled to Campbelltown Stadium in their opening round clash against Western Suburbs Magpies.

The result was the same as it was at Leichhardt with the Magpies winning the game 38 – 6