Connect with us

Hull FC

London Broncos seeking legal advice after RFL U-turn on Herman Ese’ese case

Ese'ese Eccles RFL

Charges against Herman Ese’ese for alleged ‘verbal abuse’ in Hull FC’s game against London Broncos were “unequivocally withdrawn” yesterday, however, that might not be the end of the matter as London have revealed that they are seeking legal advice.

Allegations of ‘inappropriate language’ originated immediately at the game with referee Chris Kendall putting the alleged incident on report. The RFL then cited Ese’ese but didn’t charge him due to a lack of evidence, offering the Broncos a week to provide further details. That was eventually heard and Ese’ese was slated to go to face the Operational Rules Tribunal tonight.

However, yesterday the RFL U-turned on the matter and confirmed that Ese’ese wouldn’t face a tribunal and the charge had been dropped after new evidence had come to light. Both the RFL and Hull FC released a joint statement on the matter.

It read: “Herman Ese’Ese of Hull FC will no longer face an Operational Rules Tribunal, as had been stated last week, following the submission of further evidence to the RFL’s Match Review Panel which has led to the charge of verbal abuse in a Betfred Super League fixture against London Broncos on May 12 being unequivocally withdrawn.

“The RFL is happy to correct the record and ensure that it is publicly acknowledged that Herman is not guilty of any offence.”

The statement would go on to reveal that Ese’ese is looking forward to get back to focusing on rugby, however, London have since released a statement of their own that suggests the matter is by no means finished.

London seek legal action over  alleged Ese’ese incident

Late last night on social media, London Broncos released their own statement on the matter that confirms the club have been “processing the information provided” whilst also “seeking legal advice”.

They’d also go on to back their player in the incident, believed to be Sadiq Adebiyi, as they concluded their staunch statement.

In full, it read: “London Broncos would like to make the following statement regarding the announcement made by the RFL and Hull FC that Herman Ese’Ese will no longer face an Operational Rules Tribunal.

“This relates to a charge of verbal abuse in a Betfred Super League fixture between London Broncos and Hull FC on May 12th.

“London Broncos were made aware of the decision and subsequent announcement made by the RFL at lunchtime today. The club is now processing the information provided to them and how the RFL came to this decision and is seeking legal advice.

“We stand behind our player and fully support him and his welfare. As a club we support equality, diversity and inclusion.”

Given that the initial alleged incident took two weeks before a verdict was returned and that was simply an internal case, all done within the RFL framework, the process could drag on further with London confirming that they’re seeking legal advice.

For now though, Ese’ese is free to play and will line up against Huddersfield this week as Hull FC look to snap their losing streak. Meanwhile, London host Salford as they look to respond to a 64-14 loss to Hull KR.



  1. Jaybs

    May 28, 2024 at 8:52 am

    IF a Legal Challenge is successful, overturning what the Referee, claims He Heard! Who will be held Responsible? it should be those who changed the decision, and I hope that is the Position!

    It makes disciplinary look a Farce!

  2. Harry

    May 28, 2024 at 9:10 am

    (I’ve been out of touch for the past few weeks -hence this question:

    Was Herman stood down while all this was going on?
    If he was and the London Bronx lost, then what is the implication? Maybe that players should not be stood down UNTIL investigations have been completed.

    • RuggersMan

      May 28, 2024 at 10:14 am

      The incident took place during the Broncos vs Hull FC game, which he continued to play, and his team subsequently lost.

      He was awarded a Grade F and that was passed on to tribunal. In the meantime, whilst the investigation continued, he was free to play and did so against Castleford, in a game they lost again.

      Now all charges are dropped, he is free to play as normal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Hull FC