Leigh Leopards underline their title credentials against Salford Red Devils

It has been a huge weekend in the Betfred Super League with Leeds Rhinos and Hull KR meeting in a golden point classic, Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves meeting in a big game in the race for the top four and St Helens and Catalans Dragons met on Thursday in a crucial game at the top of the league.

There were big games in the race for survival as Wakefield Trinity went away to Huddersfield Giants and Castleford Tigers headed over to Hull FC.

The games concluded today at Salford Red Devils as they hosted Leigh Leopards who are flying high and looking ahead to a Challenge Cup semi-final with St Helens next weekend.

The Red Devils took the lead after a loose pass found Ken Sio who went over in the corner to make it 4-0.

Leigh meanwhile hit back as John Asiata flicked a pass out to Ed Chamberlain to score to give the Leopards the lead when Ben Reynolds converted.

Leigh soon led 10-4 when Ricky Leutele powered over despite a resurgent effort in defence from the Red Devils.

Marc Sneyd then nailed a massive 40/20 before a neat passing play put King Vuniyayawa over that levelled matters. Salford then had a try controversially disallowed before Andy Ackers gave the Red Devils the lead as he darted over to make it 16-10.

Their lead went out to 22-10 when Tim Lafai broke through and then Ben Halliwell grounded Brodie Croft’s kick.

Leigh, though with a number of players like star man Edwin Ipape rested, hit back when Lachlan Lam took Tom Amone’s offload to score.

The Leopards would then level matters after Zak Hardaker was on hand to capitalise on chaos out wide.

Ben Reynolds levelled matters with the goal. Salford had the first effort at the drop goal which sailed whilst Leigh moved forward and Salford gave away a penalty allowing Reynolds to nail a penalty goal to give Leigh the lead.

They held on to win 24-22. It is a game that underlines Leigh Leopards as title contenders and gets them ready for the semi-final next week at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Salford’s play-off spot remains in peril.