Leeds Rhinos star says “refs need to be held accountable” after controversial defeat

Leeds Rhinos are in a battle with Warrington Wolves, Hull FC, Hull KR and Salford Red Devils for a spot in the Super League play-offs but suffered a huge blow as they were beaten by Huddersfield Giants in a tight affair with more than a few controversial decisions.

This included a drop goal at the death that sealed the win for the Giants from Jake Connor.

However, there were some question marks over the decision with Rohan Smith going on to claim that “it didn’t go over.”

In fact he would even say that “everyone knew it didn’t go over” and that the Giants players “were laughing” as they set up for a 20 metre restart.

Following all of this, Leeds Rhinos star Sam Lisone took to social media to say that officials need to be held accountable like players.

He said: “Refs need to be held accountable just like players.”

Perhaps this is in reference to the drop goal or some other decisions that didn’t go Leeds’ way.

Rohan Smith had said of the drop goal: “There was a drop goal that didn’t go other as well. Their players knew it hadn’t gone over. They were getting ready for the 20 metre restart.

“Everyone knew it didn’t go over. Their players were laughing about it.”

The Rhinos started quickly with a superb break down the left as Harry Newman and Ash Handley combined. With Newman taken late Leeds were given a penalty but the centre was taken off for a Head Injury Assessment.

The Giants’ early cover defence should be commended and it ensured that the Giants got the first try via Sam Halsall.

After the ball was kept alive in the middle of the field, the ball was shifted wide and the young winger finished in the corner.

Sadly the game was then stopped for 15 minutes after James Bentley chased a high Aidan Sezer kick only to collide with the knee of an airborne Jake Connor.

Bentley was stretchered off and placed in an ambulance after a 15 minute delay on the field.

After which Leeds conceded a somewhat controversial try with Kevin Naiqama capitalising on an error.

It would be a similar story for their third try as they took a 16-0 lead with Tui Lolohea grounding a kick Ash Handley was unable to deal with.

The Giants thought they had reached the 20 point mark when a great play caught out Newman and Handley with Esan Marsters trying to squeeze in at the corner but Leeds scrambled well.

Leeds needed to score next and had a decent chance after Aidan Sezer drilled the ball behind the Giants defence and Handley forced a penalty.

Then a lovely inside ball from Walters saw Luke Hooley make it two tries in two games.

Huddersfield again looked set to score in the corner but again Leeds scrambled well to deny the try and an incident broke out leading to a yellow card for Sam Hewitt seconds after coming on.

Without him, Sam Hewitt was able to tear through the Giants defence and find Handley in the corner to score and make it 16-12.

Leeds thought they were going to score again as Cameron Smith tore through the middle and found Sam Lisone in support. Lisone looked to wrong foot Sam Halsall and caught him with an elbow.

After that, Jake Connor kicked a brilliant 40/20 and from there the Giants earned a penalty and extended their lead to 18-12.

The Giants twice thought they scored in the same set in the second half as they looked to wrap up the win but were denied by official Marcus Griffiths.

The Giants though did get the extra point they needed with a Jake Connor drop goal four minutes from time to make it 19-12.

Will Pryce then notched a penalty to make it 21-12.