Leeds cruise past Featherstone en route to semi-final

Singleton ban

Leeds Rhinos are through to the semi-final of the Challenge Cup after a crushing 58-0 win over Championship side Featherstone Rovers.

Leeds, winners of the Challenge Cup on 13 occasions, led 22-0 at half time thanks to tries from Stevie Ward, Brett Ferres, Joel Moon and Ash Handley.

Carl Ablett, Liam Sutcliffe and Handley then all went over while Featherstone’s James Lockwood was in the sin-bin.

Brad Singleton added two tries before Ryan Hall rounded off a routine win.

Ward crossed for the opening try of the game in the third minute, as the Rhinos turned their pressure into points. Liam Sutcliffe added the conversion, 6-0.

Rhinos’ second try came in the 13th minute. Ferres was on hand to score a simple try as John Davies dropped the kick in his in goal. Sutcliffe added the extras, 12-0.

Moon got Rhinos’ third try in the 15th minute, created by Danny McGuire and Ferres before the half back proved too strong near the line to stop. Sutcliffe kicked his third conversion to extend the lead to 18-0.

The Rhinos increased their lead when McGuire and Hall combined to put Handley over in the corner in the 39th minute. Sutcliffe was unable to convert from out wide, 22-0.

Lockwood came in as the third man on Adam Cuthbertson in the tackle and was sin-binned seven minutes into the second half. 

The Rhinos crossed for their fifth try of the game in the 52nd minute when Cuthbertson and McGuire combined to put Carl Ablett through to score. Sutcliffe added the conversion, 28-0.

Smart play by Tom Briscoe created a try for Sutcliffe in the 54th minute. The winger kicked back in field for the full back to chase and score. Sutcliffe converted his own try from wide out extending the lead to 34-0.

Handley crossed for his second try of the game in the 57th minute, Hall offloading with two Rovers players tackling him to set the winger away. Sutcliffe added the extras, 40-0.

Singleton went over for the Rhinos in the 62nd minute. After Ward was tackled on the line, the ball was moved in field and there was no stopping the prop.

Sutcliffe added the conversion, 46-0.

Singleton was in again in the 66th minute. The Cumbrian charged onto Moon’s pass and couldn’t be stopped. Sutcliffe’s conversion attempt was successful, 52-0.

Hall plucked Sutcliffe’s kick out of the air and crossed for Rhinos next try in the 71st minute. Sutcliffe added the extras, 58-0.

Rovers thought they had scored moments later, but it went to the video ref for the final decision. The try was disallowed.

Incredible defence from the Rhinos in the final moments kept Rovers out. The hosts held on for the win, 58-0.

Written by Adam Gray.