Latest update on Leeds Rhinos star James Bentley

Leeds Rhinos are battling the likes of Warrington Wolves, Hull FC, Hull KR and Salford Red Devils for a play-off spot but a defeat to Huddersfield Giants hurt their chances of doing so.

The Rhinos suffered a 21-12 defeat but the most important thing coming out of the game was the injury to James Bentley.

Bentley chased a high Aidan Sezer kick but as he chased it he got hit in the chin by a stray knee from an air borne Jake Connor.

Bentley was knocked out and hurt. He was stretchered off and put into an ambulance and taken to hospital where he had scans.

But now according to the BBC he has been cleared of any serious injury.

Bentley meanwhile has said himself on social media:

“Big thank you to the Leeds and Huddersfield medical staff for looking after me yesterday on the pitch!

“Also huge thanks to the nurses and doctors at Huddersfield hospital. Who took great care of me and gave me the all clear of any major injury.

“Time to rest up now, be back in no time! Finally Massive thanks for all the kind messages.”

The Rhinos started quickly with a superb break down the left as Harry Newman and Ash Handley combined. With Newman taken late Leeds were given a penalty but the centre was taken off for a Head Injury Assessment.

The Giants’ early cover defence should be commended and it ensured that the Giants got the first try via Sam Halsall.

After the ball was kept alive in the middle of the field, the ball was shifted wide and the young winger finished in the corner.

Sadly the game was then stopped for 15 minutes after James Bentley chased a high Aidan Sezer kick only to collide with the knee of an airborne Jake Connor.

Bentley was stretchered off and placed in an ambulance after a 15 minute delay on the field.

After which Leeds conceded a somewhat controversial try with Kevin Naiqama capitalising on an error.

It would be a similar story for their third try as they took a 16-0 lead with Tui Lolohea grounding a kick Ash Handley was unable to deal with.

The Giants thought they had reached the 20 point mark when a great play caught out Newman and Handley with Esan Marsters trying to squeeze in at the corner but Leeds scrambled well.

Leeds needed to score next and had a decent chance after Aidan Sezer drilled the ball behind the Giants defence and Handley forced a penalty.

Then a lovely inside ball from Walters saw Luke Hooley make it two tries in two games.

Huddersfield again looked set to score in the corner but again Leeds scrambled well to deny the try and an incident broke out leading to a yellow card for Sam Hewitt seconds after coming on.

Without him, Sam Hewitt was able to tear through the Giants defence and find Handley in the corner to score and make it 16-12.

Leeds thought they were going to score again as Cameron Smith tore through the middle and found Sam Lisone in support. Lisone looked to wrong foot Sam Halsall and caught him with an elbow.

After that, Jake Connor kicked a brilliant 40/20 and from there the Giants earned a penalty and extended their lead to 18-12.

The Giants twice thought they scored in the same set in the second half as they looked to wrap up the win but were denied by official Marcus Griffiths.

The Giants though did get the extra point they needed with a Jake Connor drop goal four minutes from time to make it 19-12.

Will Pryce then notched a penalty to make it 21-12.